Thread: 2004 VY Commodore LS1 Fuel Gauge Calibration

Potential Tuner

2004 VY Commodore LS1 Fuel Gauge Calibration

I'm trying to fix the calibration of my fuel gauge in HP Tuners. (I'm just learning HP Tuners so am a newbie).
    The fuel gauge is working but in reverse (which is a common problem that I believe can be fixed in HP Tuners).
    One thing is confusing me, in the tune file I have read from the car under "Fuel Tank/Gauge" the data is all zeros (as shown below), shouldn't there be data in these tables already? ie shouldn't I be able to see the data the fuel gauge is using?

Capacity, 0.0L
    Primary Capacity, 0.0L
    Sender Max A/D, 0
    Sender Min A/D, 0
    Gauge Output, table all 0's
    Primary Volume, table all 0's
    Secondary Volume, table all 0's

The car is a 2004 VY SS Ute, LS1. (Similar to a 2004 GTO).

Senior Tuner
    if its working but in reverse then u either have the wrong pump module/sender in the tank or the wrong dash in the vehicle, im not even sure if holden can adjust for it

Potential Tuner
    07GTS it's a common thing, there was a design change and now you can mostly only buy the later sender unit, need to update the ecu to suit. The thing that's confusing me is why I see all zeros in HP Tuners, if the gauge is reading and moving so I should see something in the tune file. I'm thinking maybe HP Tuners is not reading the fuel sensor data properly.

Senior Tuner
    yea think it was VY had half the series in one way the swapped to backwards for the last half then back to the first way on the VZ, may not have gone thru the ecu in LS1 if its all zeros just because the table is there dosnt mean its usable unfortunately, i just looked at a LS1 tune and yea just all zeroed out makes me think its not used and the sender resistance might just go to BCM and dash maby

Potential Tuner
    07GTS I've seen posts on other forum's where people have done VY fuel gauge settings with HP Tuners, so I think it can be done. I might be doing something wrong or missing a step perhaps?

Senior Tuner
    u could email support see if its ment to be populated, but if its working and those tables are all zeros im not sure if putting anything in will do anything unless its a glitch causing zeros

Potential Tuner
    07GTS thanks for that I'll send them a message.

Are you gonna post the tune / calibration or what??
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    No I wasn't going to Frost. Thanks.

I know that in the 04 GTO the fuel gauge goes through the PCM, I set up my bench harness once to test a sending unit to see if it was good and I could see the fuel level change in the Scanner as I changed the position of the sender on the fuel pump unit. I just checked the tune on my 04 GTO and there are some tables that are populated with fuel values, so maybe copy the numbers of the tune I'm attaching and if it still reading backwards, use excel to transpose the values and try again? As 07GTS suggested, maybe the fuel gauge is controlled by the BCM in the Commodores? Does the Fuel level PID in the Scanner match what you are seeing in the gauge? Do the Commodores have the "secret" cluster menu like the GTO's do? The one where you hold down both MODE and SET while turning the key? I believe if you cycle through the items that are then listed one of them is a digital readout of the fuel level. Does that reading match the Scanner and/or the gauge reading?

Do a little investigating and report back. Maybe we can figure out where the issue stems from and might be able to point you in the right direction. Could be something that a TECH2 might be able to fix by updating the firmware on a module or on the BCM.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    fuel gauge is wired direct to dash cluster. goes no where near ecu or bcm.

wasnt until the vz model range where it went to ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post

I guess that's one of the tings that are different between an 04 GTO and the 04 Australian models. The wiring diagram shows the fuel gauge sender going to pin 54 of connector 2 of the PCM.

Guess maybe there is a way to calibrate your 04 Holden cluster with the VZClustermod software?

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post

Hmmm. Wonder how the EVAP monitor is supposed to function given it does not know fuel level. There has to be some form of input to determine fuel level for the monitor to run. Maybe CAN based comm from cluster. I will have to check SI when I get home.