Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Camaro Whipple build new to tuning

Tuner in Training

2012 Camaro Whipple build new to tuning

I used the tune repository, brought my stock tune somewhat inline with that and had something that seemed to run decently, but not quite right. I was hitting 11.6:1AFR in boost with my wideband. I was experimenting trying to drop IATs, removing washer bottle, cutting some of the grille insert away, then noticed the IAT calibration was different in the repository tune, I copied that over, along with the IAT timing table, and the car ran horribly. Sadly, I saved over my previous file, but was able to recreate my original, flashed it and it still wasn't right, lean in boost, ok when cruising. I feel like I'm overlooking something in the tune. I am new to all of this and appreciate any help.camarotune 12_19_2020.hpt

-whipple supercharger, BTR PDS stage 3 cam, ID 1050x injectors

Holy jeebus, if you have to command 1.400 EQ ratio to hit 11.6 AFR, you have something really wrong in that tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, that's how the one in the repository was set up, the repository tune had the same injectors as well.

Advanced Tuner
    If it has a Stoich of 14.7 a 1.400 should net you a 10.50 under PE. Something is way off

Tuner in Training
    It commands a PE of 10.5 or so to arrive at 11:6.

If that is true, then the MAF and VVE tables are way off.

Commanded needs to match actual. The MAF/VVE are too lean if that is the case right now.

I don't have the injector data on me to make sure that is right. You'd also want to watch fuel pressure in the logs. If pressure is dropping in boost, that is not good either because it will lean out.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    swapped stock pump for ZL1 pump, fuel pressure looks pretty good, maintaining over 60psi, VVE was the stock table, with line 100 tripled, copied to line 300 and interpolated in between

Advanced Tuner
    IAT relocated to the manifold? If so, you would want to zero out the Airflow/General/Cylinder Charge Temp/Bias. That is not the problem, just an observation.

Also the Airflow/Dynamic/Dynamic Airflow/Zone MAP Boundaries should be adjusted to reflect that you are getting into boost. You could take a look at a CTSV file in the repository for an example.

Is your MAF still present? If so, it may be easiest to tune that first. Set High RPM disable to 400, and reenable to 300. You have a blower and a cam, there's plenty that needs changing in the tune.

Tuner in Training
    IAT is in the charger manifold, MAF has been disabled.

The MAF is still on in the tune you posted.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The MAF is still on in the tune you posted.
    I thought disable 8000 re-enable 7900 would disable it, whats the best way?

Set the MAF fail high to 2hz and low fail to 1hz, set all 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. Pretty much you need code P0103 active for it to be in speed density only.

It may need the two time tables set from 1.0s to 0s and the high/low count thresholds to 0 as well to trip the code and start right up.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you really want to disable the MAF? You are just getting started on the tune for this setup, a lot has been changed, and MAF is easier.

Take a look at this thread.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4

Tuner in Training
    I was under the impression that because of my setup it would be best to disable MAF and run in speed density only mode.

Tuner in Training
    Disabled MAF, now super rich in tune, that was what was causing it to stay lean and need that crazy PE ratio, now to adjusted VVE to bring PE in line with commanded PE.

Use the MAF and VVE, it will work just fine on this car.

If you were to ditch the MAF completely you'd want to install the 2 bar OS under the OS tab and redo the new VE tables it gives you. Otherwise just tune the VVE and then tune the MAF and all should be good on a car like this.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Use the MAF and VVE, it will work just fine on this car.

If you were to ditch the MAF completely you'd want to install the 2 bar OS under the OS tab and redo the new VE tables it gives you. Otherwise just tune the VVE and then tune the MAF and all should be good on a car like this.
    Was playing with the VVE table, still rich, so I took the values from line 100 and multiplied them by 1.75 at line 300 and interpolated, still too rich.

Could I use a CTS-V VVE table as a starting point? the CTS tables are smaller everywhere overall.

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Dont use another vve. Can you post a log?

If you multiply by 1.75 you are adding in 75%.

Numbers less than 1.00 will reduce the fuel. So if you wanted to remove 5% you'd do .95.

Don't just blindly remove fuel. You must use your wideband to do this. Create an AFR error against the commanded AFR or lambda. You take that error graph and apply it directly to the VVE table or MAF curve.

Why did you lower the high rpm enable/disable settings for dynamic airflow, keep them at 8,000/7,900 and make sure code P0103 is active when you are tuning speed density.