Thread: generation 4 MAF, I cant seem to get this e38 out of VE mode

Tuner in Training

generation 4 MAF, I cant seem to get this e38 out of VE mode

I've tried every thing I can find to disable VE tables. Taking Huge swings at MAF tables and not changing A/F ratio. I wonder what I'm missing?

Post up your tune file

Tuner in Training
    try this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    dump your dynamic airflow tables,to run maf only

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Reed View Post
    I've tried every thing I can find to disable VE tables. Taking Huge swings at MAF tables and not changing A/F ratio. I wonder what I'm missing?

Given the tune that you posted, you have no idea what you are doing.

Bad things will follow if you do not self-educate before making changes to your calibration.

There are many, many tutorials available on the internet on the topic of "How to tune an E38 ECM".

Start reading.

Here is a photo of your current MAF settings - the E38 will only run on the MAF Sensor data above 4000 RPM.

Proper settings to always run on the MAF Sensor data are depicted in the "pink" boxes.

E38 - run on MAF Sensor only.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Given the tune that you posted, you have no idea what you are doing.

Bad things will follow if you do not self-educate before making changes to your calibration.

There are many, many tutorials available on the internet on the topic of "How to tune an E38 ECM".

Start reading.

Here is a photo of your current MAF settings - the E38 will only run on the MAF Sensor data above 4000 RPM.

Proper settings to always run on the MAF Sensor data are depicted in the "pink" boxes.

E38 - run on MAF Sensor only.jpg
    thanks for your reply, its obvious I,m in over my head. If i set high rpm disable low, it hates life and wont "really" run. PIG rich. No matter what i throw at it with MAF. I have replaced the MAF sensor hoping it might resolve the issue, but no luck. FWIW, Maf is right about 3500 hz at idle.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this a conversion project ?

If so, there are about four mainstream MAF options - three "tube" style MAFs, and the always popular LS3 / LS7 "blade" style MAF.

All require different base programming.

The tube style MAFs are reasonably forgiving regarding their placement in the air intake piping.

The LS3 / LS7 MAF needs to be very specifically placed - exactly straight in the pipe, exactly on the pipe diameter (or centreline), away from any bends in the pipe, and away from the throttle body. GMPP (CPP) instructions list 6 inches as the minimum length of straight pipe required - with this MAF placed dead centre (3 inches of straight pipe on either side). From experience, I prefer the straight section of pipe, with the MAF in the middle, to be at least 8 inches in length .

If you do not adhere to the above, the MAF Sensor data will likely end up being erratic.

Tuner in Training
    I put the high rpm disable/reenable to where you recommended, installed factory air cleaner and ended up with about half the MAF airflow vs frequency, still on .75 to .80 lamda.

Senior Tuner
    u need to have a populated VE table as it always gets looked up, ur never truly MAF only, are u adjusting the maf values to suit or just changing intakes ? if u want to see if u can adjust low enough just zero out the maf table and it shouldnt run for long after startup, then u know all u have to do is adjust the values to suit

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    u need to have a populated VE table as it always gets looked up, ur never truly MAF only, are u adjusting the maf values to suit or just changing intakes ? if u want to see if u can adjust low enough just zero out the maf table and it shouldnt run for long after startup, then u know all u have to do is adjust the values to suit
    Kind of the answer I was looking for! Thanks