Thread: P59 ecm hard coded for max timing?

P59 ecm hard coded for max timing?

For some reason I can?t get any more advance of out my ecm past 40 degrees. I know you are thinking wtf for? Well when I tune trucks I can advance the timing more than 40 degrees, and it adds a little more mpg because it makes a little more tq and it requires less throttle input at cruise. I can force it with my scanner and it does exactly that, it helps, but I cannot force it to do it on the tune. What gives? Something I?m missing somewhere? Maybe a workaround? I have a low compression 5.3 in a gto and I?m trying to get a little better mpg out of it. 2004 year model of that matters, originally an ls1 car.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Gotta post the tune file.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    If memory serves, the P01 / P59 Maximum Spark Advance parameter is not available in HPT.

In most P01 / P59 calibrations this is set to 60 degrees - so there is typically no need to access this parameter.

However, in certain calibrations this parameter is set to a lower value.

You never posted a tune, but a 2004 GTO is often set in the low 40 degree range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    If memory serves, the P01 / P59 Maximum Spark Advance parameter is not available in HPT.

In most P01 / P59 calibrations this is set to 60 degrees - so there is typically no need to access this parameter.

However, in certain calibrations this parameter is set to a lower value.

You never posted a tune, but a 2004 GTO is often set in the low 40 degree range.
    I?ll post a tune later tonight. I was going to last night but I knew if I did, even with an explanation, someone would still not read it and say I wasn?t going over 40 degrees in my tune. I?ve tried going higher in the cruise areas and it would never go over 40, so because I?m ocd, I just set all the cells accordingly how I needed with 40 being the highest.

I have not tried it higher than 40 since I?ve loaded a 3 bar COS so maybe that has changed but I doubt it.

I also didn?t post a tune because I?m not having an issue tuning, I just assumed someone would know and say yea, p59 is hard coded at 40, but you can do this ______ as a hack to trick it to go higher.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

I remember having the same issue on P01 years ago. It was never in the editor back then but has since been added for many P01 OS, but not there in the P59 ones I glanced at. It is labeled ECM 2617 in the couple of P01 I looked at. It may be able to be implemented by support or you might have to find an alternative such as other software or User Defined Parameters if the code exists (I suspect it is there, but only a suspicion on P59 OS also).

heres the tune file and a log i just did

gto cruise.hpl
    3bar os gto messing with wot and idleand timing.hpt
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

In the 2004 GTO the Maximum Spark Timing is set to 46 degrees. If you have the User Defined Parameters, the Scalar is located at 0x12FC4.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For future reference 12FCA is the address for the 12587603 OS. Maybe the good guys at HPT can add this back into the base calibration files in HPT for us. The P01 OS's have this parameter populated as table ID 2617
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    For future reference 12FCA is the address for the 12587603 OS. Maybe the good guys at HPT can add this back into the base calibration files in HPT for us. The P01 OS's have this parameter populated as table ID 2617
    Did you mail them about it?
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Quote Originally Posted by KFXGUY View Post
    Did you mail them about it?
    Not that specific parameter. I have an open ticket with a BUNCH of parameters to be added to P59 OS's though. Most include transient fueling, transmission, engine diagnostics parameters. This one should be added though. 40deg is the stock setting for GTO's and 46deg is the stock setting for C5's.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400