Thread: can hp tuners be used as adiagnostic tool

can hp tuners be used as adiagnostic tool

for example.
    I have a 07 Avalanche ....I want to tune it ..turn off dod ...buttt!!! I have some issues its idling really rough
    Ive done head gaskets on this thing I replaced oil pump and timing chain it has 225000 miles on it
    Im just trying to keep it doctored till I can build a new engine for her
    I would have loved to change the cam and did dod delete kit
    I have a scanner tool ...a cheap one from auto zone it says misfire detected but it wont tell you what cylinder it is
    will the hp scan tool show me what cylinder or cylinders are miss firing
    I think just playing with the tune will improve the way its running it idles really low
    at speed it runs pretty good

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I believe on this particular application you can read cyl misfires, this isn't the case for every application but I believe it is something that can be scanned on most LS ecms
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thank you bill ...I’m so excited to get into this
    I’m building a 73 trans am with a 6.2 vette engine
    I have a 72 c10 with a 6.0 l77 that I put a summit cam and dod delete kit in.....that’s the reason I bought the tuner....living where I do it’s almost impossible to get a tuner ...
    Without trailering my stuff two hours
    Is there a video on diagnostics out there that you know of ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our youtube channel has a few dozen videos about using our product and there are thousands of videos on other channels.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

You will have individual cylinder misfire counts on the scanner. There are two. History and current. History is the one you want to look at. Most of the time it will be VERY apparent the offending cylinder. Also look at freeze frame data and you can tell things like..... Misfires cold at an idle, intake seals or warped intake. Load only is "usually" spark plug, plug wire, coil. Only high RPM without corresponding very lean/rich than likely valve-train like broken spring or sticky valve.

The HPTuners scanner is great. However it will never take the place of a real professional grade bi-directional scanner like an MDI/GDS2 etc.