Thread: 2009 Silverado 5.3 to 6.2 swap - ECM help needed

Potential Tuner

2009 Silverado 5.3 to 6.2 swap - ECM help needed

Hi,

I have a 2009 Silverado 5.3 with 4l80e. I am swapping in a 6.2 from a 2009 Yukon XL (also had a 4l80e). I've finished the conversion and am having difficulty with the ECM / Theft Deterrent and segment swapper function. The 6.2 ECM triggers the Theft Deterrent in the truck and it won't turn over. Not a big surprise. So I believe I need to use the 5.3 ECM and program that to run the 6.2. I am hoping to use the segment swapper function to do that.

When I try that Swapper function, I only see the available segments are transmission segments - no engine modules or controls. I read elsewhere on this forum that the OS has to match for the segment swapper function to work. I looked up the OS for the 5.3 and the 6.2 and they are different but according to here they are compatible.

5.3 OS being the 983 variety and the 6.2 the 501. Does this difference in OS matter for the 5.3 ECM to control the 6.2 engine? From a quick glance, I see all of the same tabs and controls in the two stock files. Is it a matter of manual input from the comparison?

Any thoughts are appreciated on how best to resolve the ECM control and make this thing run.

Also, total newbie here - I'll do my best to follow!

The 6.2L ECM should work after you do the security relearn procedure. BCM & ECM stored passwords have to match before it'll allow it to crank/run. If VATS remains enabled, any time you swap ECM or BCM you'll have to do the relearn thing.

I think you have your transmissions mixed up too. The 5.3's only came with 4L60e's and 6L80e's on 2009 LTZ trims. The 6.2's always came with 6L80e, they never came with a 4L80e in a stock vehicle.

The 6.2 computer could work but if the TCM needs to be programmed to match the PCM calibrations you will need to use a GM tool to flash it.

I would find a 6.2 silverado file and see if the segment swapper works with that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks BSquirrel. I will hunt around for the security relearn procedure. If you know of a thread or resource, that would be appreciated.

5FDP - The transmission is correct, I believe it was a towing based package offered. A friend sent me his 6.2 file. I'll check that out. Trying to figure out what I don't know is half the battle - especially since starting to play with programming and tuning.

Potential Tuner
    and sorry, that should ready 6l80e... not 4l80e.

Potential Tuner
    Looking around, I found the relearn procedure for the Passcode which is for transponder keys. I tried it anyways and no dice. any other security relearn procedures for the ECM?

Thanks.

My service manuals only go up thru partial coverage for MY2009, so I hesitate to give specific instructions. Also not knowing what part of the world you're in and what market the truck was built for doesn't exactly help. International models have a different theft system than US domestics. Best to look it up yourself in something that's VIN-based to know you're getting correct information.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. For future reference, I am in the US (Washington) and it was a US domestic truck.

Potential Tuner
    I have technical service manuals for a 2008 Silverado. The 6-13 Theft Deterrent Control Module Programing and Setup instructs that a Techline Terminal needs to be used to access the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn menu to reprogram.

I don't see anything else for relearning the 6.2 ECM with the existing truck. I am getting the sense that I will need to reprogram the 5.3 computer for the BCM/ECM handshake to avoid the VTD issue - so back to why I can't Segment Swap the 6.2 program onto the 5.3 computer. When I run that function, it just shows T43 segments available to swap? No Engine functions...

Did you try to find a 6.2 silverado file to use with the segment swapper and not a Yukon file?

I would do that first.

If still no dice you can use the 6.2 file in the compare feature to copy everything over. Open both files with the compare feature, click compare again and then click view comparison log, collapse the boxes in the new window and right click the engine icon. It should let you copy over all the data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    The repository has a couple for a Silverado and 6.2. There is a stock tune for a 2010 and a modified tune for a 2009. There is another 5.3 > 6.2 file for a 2007 Silverado (not sure if that is for classic or new).

I am nervous about using the 2010 stock file as I see some are having issues with incompatibility and bricking the ECM. Am I wrong on that?

Do. Not. use HP Tuners to write a different year model file. There are 8 segments in the ECM but HPT can only access 6 of them. It won't brick it, but it'll leave stuff behind from the previous flash you'll never be able to get to.
    EDIT: Erm, just remembered this is "2009" parts - yes, if the 2009 ECM is an early 2009 with the 63lb injector limit and you write it with a late 2009-up file with the 127lb limit, you will be in a world of hurt. So don't do that.

The segment swapper will be unavailable if the operating systems are different. It's showing you only TCM segments because the TCM OSes are the same between the two HPT files. The ECM OSes are different.

Your 5.3L ECM has an old calibration in it - the most recent is 12630501 - if you get the 5.3L ECM flashed by the dealer with the most recent file, you can then do the segment swap from the 12630501 6.2L file.

Go to https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/, put in any VIN, it will show you the most recent cal info.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 12-26-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Again, because of the early/late breakpoint thing, please check my work by plugging your VIN into the TIS tool and see what it says.

Potential Tuner
    Update for anyone else in the future or interested...

The original 5.3 ECM worked. Blindsquirrel - thanks for the heads up on the segment swapper function not working due to the operating system not matching. I may take the truck in to update that OS but not a priority (my truck was on a earlier OS and the donor was the most current) so OG it is!

I basically had to copy paste the differences between the 6.2 ECM and the 5.3 ECM tune using the comparison tool going tab by tab from the 6.2 tune onto the 5.3 ECM and install that. There were not many differences and it was pretty straight forward.

Since it has been running, maybe 150 miles now, I have a couple of issues that have come up.

1) p0606 - triggered while on the freeway a couple times. Hasn't happened just driving around town.
    2) cruiser control is not functioning.

Pretty hard shift into first gear from park at start idle that I may play with as well. Otherwise shifting is fine and power is nice. Seeing 16.5mpg on the dash which if it stays around that it would be similar to the mpg (maybe less than 1 mpg) from the 5.3.