Thread: Connect GoPro Hero8 Black to TrackAddict

Potential Tuner

Connect GoPro Hero8 Black to TrackAddict

Hi

I am trying to connect my GoPro Hero8 Black to TrackAddict and I can only get as far as an amber, flashing "EXT CAM" icon on my Iphone Xs. If I click on the flahsing "EXT CAM" icon I get a message saying "External Camera: Connecting... Camera may need to be reset".

I have tried turning the camera off and on again but with no success.

Does TrackAddict work with a Hero8 Black?

Many thanks
    Last edited by billyb; 01-04-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I just tested TrackAddict (v4.6.3) running on an iPhone 8+ with a GoPro Hero8 Black. I get the same result. I see the flashing amber/yellow "EXT CAM" with the same "May need to be reset." pop-up.

I know this used to work. I played with the feature earlier this year (July or August?). I never really used it beyond a few tests because it required connecting my phone to the GoPro with a wi-fi connection. I have a different wi-fi device I connect to in my car and I can only connect to one.

From my memory this is how I did get it to work. I do recall that I figured out the GoPro app had to be running with a preview connection before it would work.
    • I opened the GoPro app on my phone and connected to the camera.
    • I enabled screen preview so the GoPro app makes a wi-fi connection to the camera.
    • I switched to the TrackAddict app, do not close the GoPro app.
    • In TrackAddict the "EXT CAM" button was green.
    • When I started a data recording session it started the GoPro with a slight delay.

I am not sure when or what could have broken this functionality.
    The GoPro app has updated at least once, my iOS has updated at least once, the firmware on my Hero8 has been updated multiple times, and TrackAddict has been updated at least once. A change in any one of those updates could have broken the functionality.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks very much. Appreciated.

Those are the steps I?ve been trying. I?ll keep trying in case something changes, or do away with TrackAddict altogether, which will be a shame

Potential Tuner
    billyb- did you ever get this to work? I have the same setup, except iPhone 8, and am have the exact same issue. I did the same steps in CarmonColvin post and still get the yellow icon in TrackAddict. I guess if I need to reset the camera- how do I even do that?

Potential Tuner
    No. I have given up

I've tried two phones (an iPhone 7 and an XS), I've reset the camera and I've re-installed the TrackAddict app. Very disappointing really.

I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for the app.
    Last edited by billyb; 01-04-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    thanks, very discouraging. Do you use another app now?

Potential Tuner
    No. My plan is to try Racerender to merge video from the gopro with telemetry from TrackAddict. I am not sure that will work though to be honest.

To be fair to TrackAddict, I have downloadad another app (Track Day G) and that won't connect to the GoPro either, which suggests the problem is with the iPhone or the GoPro, rather than TrackAddict.

If I have any success I will post back here. It would be great if you do the same MiKL

Potential Tuner
    Happy to post if I get anything to work. TBH, I'm am not good with this kind of thing though.
    That was my plan too, see if I can get the telemetry and video to merge in Racerender but I don't have it yet. Was planning on the Ultimate version but will most likely get the free version first to try it out.

Tuner in Training
    You do not need this functionality to merge the logged telemetry and the video in RaceRender. Turning on the GoPro is more of a convenience for starting/stopping the video. Synchronizing the time between the video and telemetry is easy in RaceRender.

Quote Originally Posted by MiKL View Post
    Happy to post if I get anything to work. TBH, I'm am not good with this kind of thing though.
    That was my plan too, see if I can get the telemetry and video to merge in Racerender but I don't have it yet. Was planning on the Ultimate version but will most likely get the free version first to try it out.

Potential Tuner
    Nice. Thanks for the info. Again, I'm ignorant with this kind of thing so forgive the simple question, I want to make sure I get this- but I just turn on TrackAddict like I usually do (minus the camera functionality) so it records laps and telemetry etc, and start to record with the GoPro manually. Stop both when the session is over. Import video into RaceRender along with data and merge?