Thread: whats going on with my timing

Tuner in Training

whats going on with my timing

trying to figure out some odd timing issues. 2008 g8 224/234 cam.
    about 30 seconds in my timing start looking like a heart beat. i have timing tables flat around that air mass.
    i thought it was just when it was kicked into open loop, so i added more of a delay to it but doesnt seem to help. it does it again right at the end of the log as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    your commanded fueling is changing with load which is making it surge and the corrections are over correcting causing the spark to chase it and isolate, id prob wait till ur a bit higher in ECT before going CL also as the 02's may still need warming up usually bout 40c (104F) may help as they are also moving fuel around so make sure fueling is good also maf/vve, i usually like commanded warming up to mainly go against ect temps so when it fluctuates rpm its not also commanding a change in fueling u have to chase, may have to lower the adaptive spark also so its not as aggressive

Tuner in Training
    thanks for taking a look. i agree it seems odd the factory tune kicks it into open loop so early. i did change that to 90ish coolant temp.

regarding warming up, are you referring to the open loop eq ratio?

hp.PNG

Senior Tuner
    more so other tables as the OL ones are temp based, might have some map based multipliers going on would need to look at tune file

Tuner in Training
    still a work in progress but here it is.

Senior Tuner
    can set the flow rate v flow to all 1.0 also prob a mistake noticed there is a -12 deg in the zero cell for overspeed P/N correction may be the issue should be zero, idle spark and main spark are too close make the idle spark lower as u shouldnt need mid 20's for idle, also having the main spark so close can limit the adaptive corrections set the main spark at least 10-15 above idle spark in the idle areas, see how that goes

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    can set the flow rate v flow to all 1.0 also prob a mistake noticed there is a -12 deg in the zero cell for overspeed P/N correction may be the issue should be zero, idle spark and main spark are too close make the idle spark lower as u shouldnt need mid 20's for idle, also having the main spark so close can limit the adaptive corrections set the main spark at least 10-15 above idle spark in the idle areas, see how that goes
    that -12 is probably my main issue. thanks it always help to have a second set of eye to catch the typos

just looked and i put that -12 in 5 tunes ago... been chasing my tail since.
    Last edited by blkchevyz; 12-29-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Senior Tuner
    yea ive chased my tail a few times and usually find after moving on to other things it stands out

Tuner in Training
    well back at it now and its still dies. it has two differ actions when it dies. 1st is when i'm slowing letting off the brake. like backing out of the driveway where you fluctuate the brake some. thats what happened around the 1 min mark. the other is when random but when its coming down from startup, rev or anything when its tryting to settle the idle. that happened around the 2:50 mark. it seems like its battling itself. i keep lowering the idle adaptive control thinking its that but doesnt seem to help.2008g8minestep5cold5.hpt

diedd.hpl
    Last edited by blkchevyz; 01-10-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Senior Tuner
    see if this does anything just as a test

Tuner in Training
    thanks, ill give that a try tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    monday1-11.hpl
    it did seem to run better that drive, and didnt die. still did that crazy idle surge.

Senior Tuner
    see if this helps

Tuner in Training
    1-12.hpl

thanks again for looking at this. its still doing it, im wondering if i'm chasing a bad sensor somewhere. i was going to try disable close loop, if its still does it then try disable the maf.

Tuner in Training
    it did drive better and only surge for a second. but my laptop reboot so i lost log. i'm going to leave the 02 readiness to 90* and see if it still does it. apparently the close loop enable temp doesn't do crap on these things.

Senior Tuner
    yea seemed too early to go CL was going to keep it in OL till in warmed up more see if it helped, weird yours dosnt do anything should prob contact support as it should work, even try to lower the adaptive airflow adaptive/integral just halve them as a test but keep the spark as is see if it helps, if it does then the spark shouldnt have to do as much work chasing the error in the air corrections

Tuner in Training
    they where much help on the close loop issue, but as long as i have it set to not enable till a higher temp it seems like it does better. i'm going to redo my ve table tune and this time use my wideband. i'm starting to think my factory o2 are not working very well even when warm. car just doesnt drive that well, you can feel it breaking up.

Tuner in Training
    was there anything in the test tune you gave me that i should remove back out?