Thread: Option missing for Idle Airflow vs. Coolant Temp vs. (Gear & PN)

Potential Tuner

Option missing for Idle Airflow vs. Coolant Temp vs. (Gear & PN)

I am trying to learn how to tune the idle after doing a cam swap on an 07 Chevy Avalanche. Currently my VCM editor is running version 4.8.7. I have found the option to set my Idle Base Point and DOD has been disabled. But when going over to Idle -> Idle Airflow, I do not have an option for Base Running Airflow -> Idle Airflow. I would like to know how to find Idle Airflow vs. Coolant Temp vs. (Gear & PN)? If its something I need to add (possibly) then how would I add this? Could this be because I don't have a correct version of something? Below Ive added a screenshot of both my version and a screenshot inside the editor. I am using MVPI 2 if that matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you are reading material designed for a 1999-2007 computer using a P01 or P59 GEN 3 computer, the tables in the GEN 4 E38 computer are going to be slightly different.

You have base running airflow, it's the airflow final minimum table, there is a baro and engine coolant temp multi tables too. But more than just that controls things. Airflow, fueling, timing and if things are really crazy you'd want to adjust the torque model some.

Get the fueling and timing down first before you go crazy with your idle settings. If all the fueling/timing is wrong now, it's going to make idling tuning way harder.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to get crazy with stuff on this. The cam swap was forced because this is the 2nd time needing to replace AFM lifters, this go I decided to try the DOD delete. The first time I went back in with stock parts just to be doing these repairs again a year and a half later. I didnt use an aggressive cam (BTR no springs required). I just want AFM gone for good. I do know the truck is running pretty rich right now and the timing is off.

I was trying to start figuring this out from these videos, but I've watched tons of stuff so far trying to get bearings.

Lowbuck LS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YTFH4LAmI&t=188s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myi4GflrhNI&t=686s

Goat Rope Garage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00uXQomvRI&t=590s

I was under the assumption that I would modify the idle and airflow just to get it idling without killing itself again, then figure out VE tuning (I don't understand this yet), then look for corrections on long and short term trim. I understand I could be way off with that summary but thats about as far as I have gotten with my understanding. Honestly this is pretty overwhelming. I ordered Engine Management Advanced Tuning today on amazon, but I'm still apprehensive about what I need to know to get this finished. Any good resources available is much appreciated.

A small camshaft likely doesn't require much and it's probably not running that rich.

If the short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims are not extremely negative it's not really running rich.

VE tuning or in this case VVE (virtual VE in the edit tab) tuning on a truck like this is kinda involved. The majority of your changes can be made to the MAF airflow curve if minor corrections to fueling are needed.

Everything takes time if you've never done it before. There is hp/tq and driveability changes still left on the table with these things, just a matter of figuring things out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.