Thread: 7440 Swap for 2002 Camaro 3800

Tuner in Training

7440 Swap for 2002 Camaro 3800

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anybody remembers me, but I have only thrown in half of the towel since the last time I logged in. As it turns out, it was for good reason. My 2002 Camaro 3800 with 80# injectors and a turbo was a pain to tune, and I eventually had to pay for a session at Dyno Tune Motorsports. We got the car pretty well figured out, but it didn't happen without frustration and use of tuning methods outside of HP. The car ran and drove really well for a while, but the knock sensors were turned off due to a crazy amount of false knock. Brian told me that when I decide to come back with more upgrades, I should install new knock sensors.

Brian knows his stuff, but I received a bit of information from another well-seasoned 3800 guy. He thinks it's the nature of my PCM (HDW# 12202610) and that the knock sensitivity in these is way higher since they only come in NA cars. Has anybody heard of swapping over their V6 PCM to a 7440? He makes it sound like the 0411 of V6 PCMs, and that it's a must if you're adding boost to a Series 2 car. I'm still a huge tuner noob, but I'm getting a better grip on how these things work. I'd like to give this a shot if anybody here thinks its worthwhile without DHP or Tiny Tuner. My understanding is that finding an OS that will cut me down to one o2 sensor, but allow a GTP 2 bar MAP would be the way to go. I just don't know if that's possible without experimentation and spending my life savings on credits! I don't even know if swapping over to different hardware with similar (99-02 Camaro) OS would be that simple. Can anybody advise? Thank you!

PCM label.jpg
    Last edited by V6Buicks; 01-05-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Picture of PCM added