Thread: Does the ODBII scanner work on all ODBII vehicles?

Potential Tuner

Does the ODBII scanner work on all ODBII vehicles?

I'd like to know if I can use HPT to scan vehicles trouble codes that are NOT on the supported tune list. i.e. does it work like my current hand held scanner providing me with trouble codes/ability to clear them. I use the scanner on my wife's 97 Tbird and my Mom's 99 Toyota to fix them when something goes wrong, and want to know more about HPT's ODBII scanner.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you should be able to connect & scan any vehicle on the hptuners supported vehicles list http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php it will connect to many other GM OBD2 vehicles & even scan & view codes but its only guaranteed on the vehicles listed on the supported list. FWIW I have been able to connect & scan to a few 96-97 LT1 powered fbodies & my grandfathers 96 Grand Am but other then GM currently I don't believe it will be able to scan ford or toyota unfortunatly at this current time.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    if youre not sure, ill go try it for myself..lol. who knws, i might get llucky
    btw, are there any easter eggs in hpt?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You should be able to scan most obd2 vehicles with the newest beta, if you'd care to test it out on some foreign vehicles shoot support an email with your serial number & the subject generic obd2 scanning beta tester

Potential Tuner
    I was able to scan a 96 LT1 Firebird and read SOME of the perameters. The scanner also said it was a 2002 camaro...
    2002 Tahoe 5.3, LS6 Cam, K&N, Flowmaster, HPT

next 4.56s and a 3500 stall

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferghoe View Post
    I was able to scan a 96 LT1 Firebird and read SOME of the perameters. The scanner also said it was a 2002 camaro...
    Correct, it'll read generic obd2 SAE pids, sounds like its working properly.

Tuner

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Correct, it'll read generic obd2 SAE pids, sounds like its working properly.
    The support email request for generic OBDII scanner beta....is this beta you speak of support the latest tuning features/parameters also?
    Murphy's Laws of War:
    Bullets Have The Right-Of-Way
    Friendly Fire....Isnt
    If It Is Strong Enough The Enemy Cant Get In....You Cant Get Out
    Tracers Point Both Ways

Potential Tuner
    I know this is an ancient thread but I'll resurrect it from the dead I guess.

Was shocked yesterday that I could not read codes on a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara for my neighbor. I completely understand not being able to data-log or modify the PCM on anything but supported vehicles, but was a little dumbfounded that it would not do a simple read and/or reset of OBDII codes.

Is there a workaround for this? I paired it to mobile hot spot on my cell so the laptop could get to the net but it still just told me that the vehicle was not supported.

Thanks,
    Jim

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by cybershanks View Post
    I know this is an ancient thread but I'll resurrect it from the dead I guess.

Was shocked yesterday that I could not read codes on a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara for my neighbor. I completely understand not being able to data-log or modify the PCM on anything but supported vehicles, but was a little dumbfounded that it would not do a simple read and/or reset of OBDII codes.

Is there a workaround for this? I paired it to mobile hot spot on my cell so the laptop could get to the net but it still just told me that the vehicle was not supported.

Thanks,
    Jim
    likely uses a protocol we don't support.