Thread: Cannot Read vehicle

Potential Tuner

Cannot Read vehicle

Hello, I did a search for my issues and tried all of the responses but still nothing.
    I have an LS Gen3 swapped into my 84 Corvette and I went to read the vehicle through the VCM Editor and I keep getting a ?download boot loader request timed out?. As I said, I charged the battery, I removed fuses for the radio and a few other fuses and still get the same response. If I uncheck the box for ?Use High Speed? I get a x7f response we code instead of the time out.
    Please help.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    In this case we would recommend reading/flashing via bench harness, sounds like you have a wiring issue of some sort that is preventing reading.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by WillSpeed View Post
    Hello, I did a search for my issues and tried all of the responses but still nothing.
    I have an LS Gen3 swapped into my 84 Corvette and I went to read the vehicle through the VCM Editor and I keep getting a ?download boot loader request timed out?. As I said, I charged the battery, I removed fuses for the radio and a few other fuses and still get the same response. If I uncheck the box for ?Use High Speed? I get a x7f response we code instead of the time out.
    Please help.
    Can you read it with another scanner?
    Something like a Snap on that has vehicle tests and stuff. I would think if you have a harness issue nothing will communicate with it. If other scanners can communicate and command tests, clear codes, ETC... I would think your harness is good.
    Just a thought
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Can you read it with another scanner?
    Something like a Snap on that has vehicle tests and stuff. I would think if you have a harness issue nothing will communicate with it. If other scanners can communicate and command tests, clear codes, ETC... I would think your harness is good.
    Just a thought
    Reading/flashing a vehicle is alot different than using a scanner or checking DTC's. Reading/flashing has much tighter restrictions because if something ain't right you can brick your pcm. You aren't bricking your ecm by reading dtc's

Potential Tuner
    Hey Bill, I went ahead and bought a bench harness. I unplugged my blue ECM connector and connected the bench harness to it. When I plugged the power into the bench harness I started hearing a clicking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, not sure what the noise is. When I go to turn my vehicle over and start it, the engine spins but doesn?t start. Clicking sound still going on. What am I doing wrong?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hey Bill, I went ahead and bought a bench harness. I unplugged my blue ECM connector and connected the bench harness to it. When I plugged the power into the bench harness I started hearing a clicking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, not sure what the noise is. When I go to turn my vehicle over and start it, the engine spins but doesn?t start. Clicking sound still going on. What am I doing wrong?
    That in no way sounds like a bench harness to me.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    That in no way sounds like a bench harness to me.
    Hey Bill, I bought it from Amazon thinking it would work but obviously I am missing something. Some more knowledge from you is definitely in my list of needs. Lol. I went ahead and took the “bench harness” apart. It appears like there are not enough wires connected. I’m hoping my picture attached. If it didn’t, there are 4 wires in this harness. A black ground, two Orange powers, and one purple signal. I’m missing more, aren’t I?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hey Bill, I bought it from Amazon thinking it would work but obviously I am missing something. Some more knowledge from you is definitely in my list of needs. Lol. I went ahead and took the ?bench harness? apart. It appears like there are not enough wires connected. I?m hoping my picture attached. If it didn?t, there are 4 wires in this harness. A black ground, two Orange powers, and one purple signal. I?m missing more, aren?t I?
    This is what a bench harness typically looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images