Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 tune guidance

Tuner in Training

5.3 tune guidance

Ok Gang I am wet behind the ears to tuning. I know we all have to start somewhere. I have read until I am blue in the face. I would like this tune looked over and some suggestion and guidance. I also have some logs. I feel like with the SD tune that I am working on to dial this truck in is its loading up when I reach/sit at a stop sign and until i reach the higher RPM's it doesn't clear out. Also I have been using and reading C'PIGS HP tuner guide as my reference material. I find it difficult to find a few of the items to change like the disable PE in which I believe I figured out tonight. I guess down to the brass tacks of things. The truck is a 02 GMC 1500 SLE z71 4l60E I dropped in a Summit racing SUM-150153 its a long block 5.3l. 10.0:1 compression.Camshaft specifications: Lift- 545/545, Duration @.050- 222/231
    * Camshaft bearings: Installed and clocked to OEM position
    * Cylinder heads: #799 or #243 OE aluminum 64cc 2.00 in./1.55 in. valves
    I have added electric cooling fans and shorty headers. Otherwise the truck is stock. I have the truck starting and running okay, but feel like there is something I am missing something. If you get down on it the truck feels laggy. So any help is appreciated. I have logged a bunch of drives and the corresponding tunes with the runs if further are needed. Its appreciated for the assistance and your time looking at my stuff. stftmafoffpeon.hplSDtestMAFOff1112021.hpt. This is from this evening on my ride home from work the early Revs was sitting in the parking lot wating to leave work and trying to fill in the STFT.

Advanced Tuner
    What injectors are you using? Does it have a vacuum referenced fpr?
    Seems like it could use more timing up top.

The list is too long, maybe start here.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply they are the stock injectors and intake for the truck. So to answer your question the FPR is Vacuum referenced. I can add the Injector duty cycle and do a log in the morning when I head out to work. As a side note and I could be wrong. From the reading I have done being that I am using the stock injectors I shouldn't have to do much in that department. But thanks for looking and suggestion I will get that put together in the morning and get loaded tomorrow at some point. Depending on weather might be able to do it after I get to work.

The log is missing o2 sensor data, TPS and cylinder airmass too.

If you don't have a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning, get one asap. The fuel trim tuning does you no good when you have to start tuning full throttle.

Whatever you do, don't disable power enrichment.

Other things to address is the PE. It's too rich for this engine because all the tables are still stock. A few of the spark tables can be altered. The massive spark retard at cold engine temps could go away and the intake temp spark reduction can start later instead of that 80 degrees.

The stock 25lb/hr injectors aren't going to be enough for an engine like this in my opinion. You added a lot of airflow with the large camshaft and more compression. Even with a low to mid 12's AFR at full throttle I bet it's pushing 90-100% duty cycle at high rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The log is missing o2 sensor data, TPS and cylinder airmass too.

If you don't have a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning, get one asap. The fuel trim tuning does you no good when you have to start tuning full throttle.

Whatever you do, don't disable power enrichment.

Other things to address is the PE. It's too rich for this engine because all the tables are still stock. A few of the spark tables can be altered. The massive spark retard at cold engine temps could go away and the intake temp spark reduction can start later instead of that 80 degrees.

The stock 25lb/hr injectors aren't going to be enough for an engine like this in my opinion. You added a lot of airflow with the large camshaft and more compression. Even with a low to mid 12's AFR at full throttle I bet it's pushing 90-100% duty cycle at high rpm.
    Okay I will look into the wideband O2. As I stated I may have read myself into a hole and assumed stock injectors would get the job done. I can go looking into getting injectors for the flex fuel in which if I remember correctly are a 30lbs injectors. I will try to make sure the o2 data is feeding into the log along with the TPS and cylinder airmass. Thanks again for the help and guidance its allot to take in and digest to get started in the right direction. There is great material up here and feel like allot of it has helped. So thanks and I will be sure to try all the missing data streams and get it up to look at and get the tools suggested to tune it better. Thanks again appreciate all the positive feedback

Tuner in Training
    Good morning, Ended up with a rain day so I am able to send this log I took this morning driving to work. The start of the log is with the motor running because I found a couple channels were not added as intended. Hope this helps and thank you again for all the help.morningrun1122021.hplmafonstftadjust1122021.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by stealthhit22 View Post
    Good morning, Ended up with a rain day so I am able to send this log I took this morning driving to work. The start of the log is with the motor running because I found a couple channels were not added as intended. Hope this helps and thank you again for all the help.morningrun1122021.hplmafonstftadjust1122021.hpt
    In your Channel list you need to add MAF Frequency (HZ)
    That is needed to create an error log and adjust your MAF sensor
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Ok I have added that to the scanner software I must have misunderstood what they were asking for. I will get another log after I get the bigger injectors for the truck and the Wideband o2.

Tuner in Training
    Okay Gang, I know its been a few weeks since the last update. I have just got the new injectors installed, I had to get adapters to connect them to the factor harness because I ended up getting 50lb flex fuel injectors. I am going to try and make the needed changes to let the truck run again as we all know is not happy with the new injectors dumping fuel. I will try to get a log with the new injectors and upload. I am still looking into the wideband gauge to choose to get the top end of the tuning complete but figured this was a big step forward to getting the truck right.

Tuner in Training
    ok so i have had chance to run the truck and took a log going to work this morning. I have installed the 50lbs injectors and made some adjustments. They definitely helped allot. So if you don't mind looking again. I believe i had everything I needed added to the scan to and had saved the layout so we have what we need. I know I still need a wideband O2 but want to try to get the low end of this truck right. then I will get the wideband for the WOT and fine tuning with it. Thank again for the help advice and direction as to what I need to be looking at.drmorningrunnoltft2162021.hpl216202150lbinjectorveadjust.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    While you cannot tune the PE until you get a wideband, I would still lower your TPS enable a bit, maybe down to 70-75%, and zero out the Delay.

There are some charts in the ENGINE side of the Torque Mgt tab that can be raised to prevent torque limiting. Torque Limit vs RPM - Max Torque settings.

Are you making changes to the MAF calibration? Looks like it has been untouched.

Advanced Tuner
    Posting a log will help. Also do not forget to reset fuel trims in the scanner after you make changes, before each new log.

Tuner in Training
    I was trying to follow a " begginers" guide found on the forum. Its was CPigs guide. So I hadn't made adjustments to the MAf table. I had read myself silly. But have kept a notebook of changes I have done. I feel like the changes I have done in general have been minimal. If just seems like a lot to take in and learn. For the most part I can at least drive it and don't have a problem, but would like to dial it in and take in suggestions and make changes as suggested. I willook at what you have suggested and make a run and adjust from there. What wideband sensor and gauge would you suggest? Thanks for the help and support.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for the follow up. I do reset the trim everything. Sometime over the weekend I am going to try and get a 30minute to a hour log and try to do some more reading. Thanks for help and advise.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I am new here and about to get an hp tuner for my 04 silverado 5.3 .. Will the MPVI2 non pro allow me to pull all the files needed to get the great support I have been seeing here to help me with getting a good tune? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Potential Tuner
    I bought the same 150153 but stepped down to a stage two cam and don't have it tuned beyond starting it. Did you get dialed in and would you mind sharing your tune? At this point I don't feel any gain from the stock 285hp to my estimated 420hp... Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I did end up getting dialed in went to a local shop and they helped me finish it up. I don't have a issue sharing the tune. I have a few suggestions that will help with the tune it you find little change. Also if you dontnhave enough stall in your torque converter that will hinder your feel of performance. I have a 01 with a 6.0 I built and on a stock convert it feel weaker than the 4.8 that was in it. Put the proper stall and became a different truck. I currently loaned my laptop out to a friend I will get it on Monday and get you that file.

Tuner in Training

tune file

here is the final tune on the 02 gmc i pm the details
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for posting your tune. I installed a Texas Speed low lift truck cam 212/218 .550/.550 112LSA for the purpose of staying closer to a stock stall though I did switch to 2000rpm. Currently I am running lean and the engine is unimpressive. I have the MPVI3 and will wire in my Prolink+ to the AEM guage.

2000RPM stall with an engine that has the torque peak at 4400-4600 (just about any LS engine) is just going to be fairly unimpressive.

For comparison, just about any 3.48 stroke Gen 1 SBC had a torque peak at 2600-3000. So if you're thinking of the 'correct' stall range based on anything you learned from the old engines, throw it out the window right now.