Thread: Credit usage clarification

Potential Tuner

Credit usage clarification

I think I learned something tonight, I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Are credits associated with a specific file?

No credits were required to read my vehicle, and I was able to save a version of the .hpt file. I saved a 'stock' file and then did a Save As to create a version (v1) to modify. I was able to successfully write the modified version to the vehicle, at that time I was required to associate credits with the TCM that I was trying to update. Days later, I have made new updates to the file, but wanted to keep a history of files as I made modifications, so I did a Save As again (v2). However, when I attempted to write that file to the car I was prompted for license information again. I pulled up the v1 file and was able to write directly to the vehicle.

So, my question, clarification really, is, are the Credits directly associated to a specific TCM and one individual file? If so, is there a way to change the name of that file without risking the license? I would like to rename my modified file, but do not wish to break the relationship back to the vehicle.
    Last edited by tb4rings; 01-12-2021 at 11:11 PM. Reason: changed TCU to TCM

Quote Originally Posted by tb4rings View Post
    I think I learned something tonight, I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Are credits associated with a specific file?

No credits were required to read my vehicle, and I was able to save a version of the .hpt file. I saved a 'stock' file and then did a Save As to create a version (v1) to modify. I was able to successfully write the modified version to the vehicle, at that time I was required to associate credits with the TCU that I was trying to update. Days later, I have made new updates to the file, but wanted to keep a history of files as I made modifications, so I did a Save As again (v2). However, when I attempted to write that file to the car I was prompted for license information again. I pulled up the v1 file and was able to write directly to the vehicle.

So, my question, clarification really, is, are the Credits directly associated to a specific TCU and one individual file? If so, is there a way to change the name of that file without risking the license? I would like to rename my modified file, but do not wish to break the relationship back to the vehicle.
    What kind of TCU is this?

Credits are usually linked to a specific vehicle by VIN or serial number of the controller. You should be able to create as many files as you want though. Was your v2 file based on a file from another car?
    Previous
    2007 Mustang GT w/ Whipple supercharger
    2013 Focus ST
    2016 Volkswagen GTI

Current
    2019 Golf R

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Exley View Post
    What kind of TCU is this?

Credits are usually linked to a specific vehicle by VIN or serial number of the controller. You should be able to create as many files as you want though. Was your v2 file based on a file from another car?
    This is the TCM (sorry, changed the original post) for a B8 A4.

Attachment 106495

Both files (v1 and v2) were created by doing a Save As. v1 was a Save As of the stock file, v2 was a Save As of v1.

Credits, once used, are valid only for the specific controller, ECU or TCU. Meaning that you can write the unit unlimited number of times.
    Did you try resyncing your cable? Try contacting support as well.
    BTW your attachment appears as invalid when trying to download.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tb4rings View Post
    This is the TCM (sorry, changed the original post) for a B8 A4.

Attachment 106495

Both files (v1 and v2) were created by doing a Save As. v1 was a Save As of the stock file, v2 was a Save As of v1.
    Your attachment doesnt work. Please post your stock file and the two edited version so we can see what the problem is.

To answer your question once your TCU is licensed, editing the file wont cause you to need to re-license. Technically its licensing your cable to the file/tcm, so from that point forward it should be good, there must be something changing thats causing the issue.