Thread: Transport Delay: Mass Airflow vs Engine Speed??

Transport Delay: Mass Airflow vs Engine Speed??

So transport delay was enabled for my truck, but it's table says it's MAF vs RPM ......

so how is it getting a MAF value when Dodge doesn't use a MAF sensor?

Is this some kind of calculation? Is it just mislabeled or something?

I'm not saying it doesn't work (I don't actually know yet) I'm just curious about the labeling is all, and how it's possible to get a MAF value without a MAF sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Killavolt View Post
    So transport delay was enabled for my truck, but it's table says it's MAF vs RPM ......

so how is it getting a MAF value when Dodge doesn't use a MAF sensor?

Is this some kind of calculation? Is it just mislabeled or something?

I'm not saying it doesn't work (I don't actually know yet) I'm just curious about the labeling is all, and how it's possible to get a MAF value without a MAF sensor.
    I don't know specifically how Dodge does it but Mass Air Flow can be calculated based on speed density, Baro and temp. Same thing happens in reverse when you unplug a MAF. It runs based on a calculated MAF.

ok, so it's likely a calculation being done to get the values then.....I was mainly concerned if it was mislabeled or if it wouldn't actually work.

I'm kind of wondering if I can somehow log/chart that just for shits and giggles. I know that somewhere you can enter formulas into the Scanner, just not sure what formula would be used to calculate MAF

all that aside, I need to change my transport delay because I get an O2 slow response when on the highway, I had a compare file but they didn't have anything done to transport delay and the table for it is all 0.....so I'm not sure where I should start with the delay, and I don't know what timescale it's in.....I'm assuming it would be milliseconds? or is it just seconds?

A little something I use is a MAF calculator. It is an android app although there are tons online and it works VERY well helping me diagnose vehicle concerns. Will give you a good idea about MAF problems, exhaust and intake restrictions, and fuel issues. ATG Calculator. In the play store it is called the VE Calculator by the automotive training group inc.

I'm on iOS, I'll look it up though.

It's not so much that I'm having a problem as it is that I've installed long tube headers lol.

Need to adjust that delay (as far I know) to make that light not come on when driving down the highway.

After that it's a catalyst effeciency code, since I'm running ARH high flow catted Y pipe.

I'm on iOS, I'll look it up though.

It's not so much that I'm having a problem as it is that I've installed long tube headers lol.

Need to adjust that delay (as far I know) to make that light not come on when driving down the highway.

After that it's a catalyst effeciency code, since I'm running ARH high flow catted Y pipe.
    Pre and post sensors are only looking for 1. A normal switching rate and amplitude when first started to determine degradation of post (downstream) sensor. Then it will (after cat light off) look for a lower amplitude lower frequency switching of sensor. Only way I see a problem is often times long tubes will have cat so far downstream they will fall out of temp needed to light off. You can help this by using a GOOD wrap to keep temps elevated in exhaust but if it is so far down and or aftermarket cats... well.....

ARH explicitly states to NOT wrap their headers....

That being said, the Cat location for the Y pipe is actually WAY closer to the engine than the stock location where they both sat under the passenger side/seat.

And the location of the upstream O2's is, as far as I can tell, in just about the same location as the factory upstream sensors.

The downstream sensors are closer to the engine as well now, although those ones needed an extension harness to plug in, whereas the upstream sensors did not.

I had logged the EGT and Cat temps, and they reach light off temp pretty fast. like within a minute.

ARH explicitly states to NOT wrap their headers....

That being said, the Cat location for the Y pipe is actually WAY closer to the engine than the stock location where they both sat under the passenger side/seat.

And the location of the upstream O2's is, as far as I can tell, in just about the same location as the factory upstream sensors.

The downstream sensors are closer to the engine as well now, although those ones needed an extension harness to plug in, whereas the upstream sensors did not.

I had logged the EGT and Cat temps, and they reach light off temp pretty fast. like within a minute.
    So do you have a pending or hard code P0420/P0430? If you use the histograph of the upstream and downstream it will be very obvious of their activity hot and cold.

My CEL is on currently after a trip about an hour away. I'll have to plug it into my truck and read them again for more info.

I believe right now it's only a P0134 code, and a P0420.....going by memory here right now though. I have also had a bank 2 code come up in the past, but not recently.

I have a really long log file of when the CEL came on.

My CEL is on currently after a trip about an hour away. I'll have to plug it into my truck and read them again for more info.

I believe right now it's only a P0134 code, and a P0420.....going by memory here right now though. I have also had a bank 2 code come up in the past, but not recently.

I have a really long log file of when the CEL came on.
    As a side note there was a time when I got many vehicles for smog check at the dealer. When you looked at the cost of what a smog check was you knew that it was because some shop or smog test could not get a pass and could not figure out why. Many of those times were due to cat's that were significantly lacking in their capacity to reduce and oxidize. Biggest offender were the Catco brand. They were super cheap and would at the time legally satisfy the requirement. I had many that would not pass that were no more than a week or two old. Upon replacing with a SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive factory cat the numbers would come down do almost zero across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    As a side note there was a time when I got many vehicles for smog check at the dealer. When you looked at the cost of what a smog check was you knew that it was because some shop or smog test could not get a pass and could not figure out why. Many of those times were due to cat's that were significantly lacking in their capacity to reduce and oxidize. Biggest offender were the Catco brand. They were super cheap and would at the time legally satisfy the requirement. I had many that would not pass that were no more than a week or two old. Upon replacing with a SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive factory cat the numbers would come down do almost zero across the board.
    I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm running ARH long tubes with their catted Y pipe, so I trust that at least their quality is good.

they're obviously smaller and shorter than the factory cats though, and we no longer do emissions tests here....for now anyway, with the way things are going with our government anything could change lol