Thread: 2019 L5P tuning

Potential Tuner

2019 L5P tuning

Hello all.Considering tuning on my 2019 L5P and have one question for now.Is it necessary to buy a HP tuners tcm when using their engine ecm.The reason I ask is I'm not looking for any torque increase from this truck, the power if fine,I just would like to be rid of some excess components and not have to buy d.e.f.I don't see what I have to gain from buying a tunable t.c.m I don't need increased clutch pressure, modified shift points, modified t.c lockup etc.I think the vendor I talked to is b.s ing me that I need a cracked tcm with tunes.

If lookin to rid excess components, standard answer is HPT is not capable and does not support such a function (as is illegal). As for if you have to buy it in tandem (ECM and TCM) may want to email their tech support if still want to pursue their L5P package.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    If lookin to rid excess components, standard answer is HPT is not capable and does not support such a function (as is illegal). As for if you have to buy it in tandem (ECM and TCM) may want to email their tech support if still want to pursue their L5P package.
    Cool thanks for the misinformation, do you work for the e.p.a or are you a democrat?

HAHA No and he!! no. And I said standard answer. HPT does have user defined parameters which allows you to custom map parameters which the standard program does not show. HPT has done well on my dmax hence why i use it rather than the other.
    Also happened to see that the L5P package does not require you to purchase the TCM as well, as its an option to add (reference hpt website). Now your tuner may feel there are benefits to be had in conjunction with their engine tuning and recommend the TCM be done at the same time. I'd be there's lots of torque management in that truck to figure out. There are diesel tuners out there with thousands of hours of dyno time to perfect their tunes. I suppose its up to you to decide if your tuner is bs'ing you or being straight with you. Ask what parameters need to be adjusted and why, especially if you are not getting any additional power in your tune? Torque management is all i can think of. Did support get back to you? Interested in the answer honestly, as i have not heard you have to buy both.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    HAHA No and he!! no. And I said standard answer. HPT does have user defined parameters which allows you to custom map parameters which the standard program does not show. HPT has done well on my dmax hence why i use it rather than the other.
    Also happened to see that the L5P package does not require you to purchase the TCM as well, as its an option to add (reference hpt website). Now your tuner may feel there are benefits to be had in conjunction with their engine tuning and recommend the TCM be done at the same time. I'd be there's lots of torque management in that truck to figure out. There are diesel tuners out there with thousands of hours of dyno time to perfect their tunes. I suppose its up to you to decide if your tuner is bs'ing you or being straight with you. Ask what parameters need to be adjusted and why, especially if you are not getting any additional power in your tune? Torque management is all i can think of. Did support get back to you? Interested in the answer honestly, as i have not heard you have to buy both.

Tuner in Training
    I did all with hpt, not sure, but I’ve understood it as the device (aka mpvi3) has to be one licensed out of Canada where that is not an issue .. Mine came from there , no problems with that aspect …
    2019 Silverado 2500 High Country Duramax
    2008 6.4 Powerstroke