Thread: Newbie needing some help

Potential Tuner

Newbie needing some help

Hey All,

This is my first day using HP Tuners, and I'm pretty lost but eager to learn from everyone. I recently swapped the 4.8L in my daily driver 2003 Silverado for a 6.0L (LQ9) and rebuilt my 4L60e transmission. I got a base tune from mail order tunes before I decided I'd like to be able to fool around with this stuff myself. That tune is attached. So, first, if y'all could take a quick look at that tune and let me know if anything looks off, I'd really appreciate it. Second, I'm getting a P0101 code, and I'd like some advice on where to start with the diagnosis. I've checked for intake leaks and installed a new MAF sensor. No leaks and the new sensor didnt help. The truck runs pretty well other than I feel a quick hesitation now and then.

I figure I'll need to do some scanning to help diagnose the issue. Any advice on the stuff I should be monitoring to start with? Thanks to everyone in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jbweathers9; 01-12-2021 at 09:04 PM.

They didn't change the cylinder volume for the 6.0 engine like they should have. That value is used for all air/fuel calculations. So change that to a stock 6.0 engine size.

The power enrichment should be changed more. They only changed the HOT enable and not the COLD enabled. The way it is now means it will use the COLD enable until 285 degree coolant temp, which would be in the melt down stage. Change the COLD to match the HOT.

Raise the MAP kpa enable to 85kpa and lower the enable torque to like 80%.

If this engine is stock with no camshaft upgrade or valve springs make sure you are not revving it too high. Stock camshaft is out of steam after 5,600-5,800.

I do not like that they disable the transmission torque mngt, I would keep that if you want the 4L60e to live a long time. There are other ways to make the transmission do what you want. Like changes to the shift time and shift pressure's.

Log files of how it's running are more helpful too. Make sure it's got all the main data points in the default channels plus things like o2 sensors, injector pulse width for both banks, commanded AFR, knock retard, cylinder airmass.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I found a stock tune for a 2004 Cadillac Escalade in the repository (see attached file). That is what my reman'd engine came out of. Would it be wise to simply stick that in there instead of what I currently have? How does that one look in comparison?

Hey 5FDP
    Why do you suppose they jacked with all this stuff?

This seems to be the reason for his MAF code, Correct?

Thanks
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by jbweathers9 View Post
    I found a stock tune for a 2004 Cadillac Escalade in the repository (see attached file). That is what my reman'd engine came out of. Would it be wise to simply stick that in there instead of what I currently have? How does that one look in comparison?
    My guess is yes...
    Might want to wait and see if 5FDP has any input...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    I changed the cylinder volume and that seems to have fixed the issue. Thank y'all very much. 5FDP, thanks a lot for taking the time to skim over the tune. Probably saved me a lot of frustration. Now I'll start working on playing with the tune and hopefully learning a few things.

Update: Issue is still there. I wrote a new tune to the truck and made a log file. If anyone sees anything strange with the log file, please let me know. One question I have is if it's normal for the O2 readings to go from 0 to X mV like that?
    Last edited by jbweathers9; 01-15-2021 at 03:56 PM.