Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 6th gen SS 6.2 Flexfuel Startup timing in the cold

  1. #1
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    3

    6th gen SS 6.2 Flexfuel Startup timing in the cold

    as the temps have cooled down I have noticed that when the car starts in the morning it struggles and cranks for about twice as long as if the car was warm. I did add timing to the startup table for colder coolant temp ranges. What is everyone else doing in the table. My next step was to add 10% to those cells and see if that helps any. Please let me know what you guys are doing.

    I live in Texas so it never really gets that cold but it is in the 30's in the early mornings.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Tuner Ben Charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calibrating
    Posts
    2,618
    DI always has longer cold cranks Bc it has to build adequate amount of fuel pressure before it will fire

    Email Tunes, Bencharles_10@hotmail.com
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

  3. #3
    Cranking eq ratio alcohol table needs adjusting. Try adding 10%.

  4. #4
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 32vape View Post
    Cranking eq ratio alcohol table needs adjusting. Try adding 10%.
    Should I go 10% across the board or below 75*?

  5. #5
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Boerne, TX
    Posts
    82
    Bump this. I live in TX too and it's been low 30s upper 20s for a while and my truck cranks for about 4-5 seconds above 60% ethanol. Looking for a solution.

  6. #6
    Tuning Addict 5FDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rogers, MN
    Posts
    10,973
    It's E60 in cold weather, there is no easy solution.

    You should try E70 when it was like 0 to 10 degrees outside last year, now that took a while. I don't run an E85 blend in the winter anymore.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

  7. #7
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It's E60 in cold weather, there is no easy solution.

    You should try E70 when it was like 0 to 10 degrees outside last year, now that took a while. I don't run an E85 blend in the winter anymore.
    I was thinking the same thing. If the bumped cranking FP doesn't work I am just going to run 93 in the winter. I can not put the extra power down anyways. The car just spins on cold rubber.

  8. #8
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Boerne, TX
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by bjbonnette View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If the bumped cranking FP doesn't work I am just going to run 93 in the winter. I can not put the extra power down anyways. The car just spins on cold rubber.
    Yup. Same here, my Michelins Defenders have been feeling awful lately. Seems futile!