Thread: Recommandations? Pro Link, CAN Bus for Addtional temp and pressure sensors

Potential Tuner

Recommandations? Pro Link, CAN Bus for Addtional temp and pressure sensors

Have a MPVI2 and prolink. Have a customer who has some fueling issues, we believe heat based. We would like to add 2-3 temp sensors into the fuel system to pin point the issue. Possibly also a pressure sensor in the tank.

My thought was to get some sort of CAN bus setup that this stuff could be added to and logged with the MPVI2, either with or without the laptop on. Something like the AIM 30-2226? Has anyone done similar? Pointers? Direction? Not gonna happen?

Not enough info but most will already have a pressure sensor in the tank for EVAP if you are looking for tank pressure and not fuel pressure. Also you could easily add a fuel pressure or temp sender to the rail and wire it in as an EGR sensor and make sure you zero everything out. When you say "heat" issue what exactly are you talking about? Vapor locking is pretty much a thing of the past with pressures what they are now. If you have a return system you could always add a Duramax fuel cooler. Just not seeing the reason.

Potential Tuner
    Oh sorry yeah I guess I should give a little more about the car.

68 camaro, built 6.0 with a maggie, t56, 411 box. Fuel system is twin 450 pumps feeding rails then a firewall mounted regulator and returning to tank. All -8 hardline and PTFE line if it needed to be soft. While at road track he is having fuel leave the tank via breather. I believe he said boiling or sounding like the sort. I do believe it also starts having running issues. I wasnt there and am only getting some of the info at this point. just trying to plan a means to diag the issue.

I suspect over pumping and causing heat issues. Would be nice to try to pin point where it is getting heat. Tank..on the way back from engine..

Quote Originally Posted by jason@ecauto View Post
    Oh sorry yeah I guess I should give a little more about the car.

68 camaro, built 6.0 with a maggie, t56, 411 box. Fuel system is twin 450 pumps feeding rails then a firewall mounted regulator and returning to tank. All -8 hardline and PTFE line if it needed to be soft. While at road track he is having fuel leave the tank via breather. I believe he said boiling or sounding like the sort. I do believe it also starts having running issues. I wasnt there and am only getting some of the info at this point. just trying to plan a means to diag the issue.

I suspect over pumping and causing heat issues. Would be nice to try to pin point where it is getting heat. Tank..on the way back from engine..
    Unlikely boiling. Much more likely that it is sucking air and that is the boiling you are hearing and the power issue. I would (with the motor off) activate the fuel pumps and hear if they are cavitating. Isolate one at a time. You should not only hear it but feel it in the lines. Like a growling sound with associated vibration in the lines.

you can use an E85 Flex Sensor to measure the fuel temp. HPT should be able to find a scanner PID avail for that if the ECU's measures it. Temp is avail as part of the GM flex sensors. I happen to have a Megasquirt that reads this, but you can do it with an Arduino.

Aside from that, I had a loose hose clamp on my suction side of the pump, would cause air being pulled in under WOT only, ran fine everywhere else. Caused a huge mess trying to figure that one out. Suction side cavitation or other could be your problem too.

Also, the pumps if in tank could be pulling in air, if fuel is sloshing around too much, or level too low creating the "boiling" sound on the return. Is your return cut at the top of the tank or does it go to the bottom? Having it curved to hit the side of the tank may be best, rather than go to the bottom.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 01-14-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Tank is a rick tank with their dual pump setup. I dont have the car here so I havnt pulled it apart. But someone else I was talking to mentioned where the return dumps in the tank. Looking at ricks site it looks like the return dumps right between the pumps. Which could be air raiding the fuel if its moving a ton of fuel and causing the pumps to suck up air.