Thread: 5.3 no restart

Potential Tuner

5.3 no restart

I can load the tune, start the truck and drive it as long as I don't shut it off. Then only way to get it to start again is to reload tune again.

Tune file?

Vehicle information?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It's a truck, duh! Aren't they all the same??

Exactly! I say the same thing about engines all the time "Its a combustion engine, aren't they all the same??!"

Potential Tuner
    Sorry guys I know better. I've been turning wrenches for 43 years. Update: kept loading tune and driving it around. Last trip went about 30 miles in various driving situations and now it starts fine. I do still need some expert advice however. Backstory: 2005 chevy silverado 4x4 originally had stock 4.8. the owner found a 5.3 rebuilt it with flat top pistons, big mutha thumper cam, aftermarket coils, stock injectors. He installed the engine and it would run but barely on stock tune. He took it to a friend with hp tuners. The friend got it where it wouldn't run at all. So it ended up at my house to fix. Until 3 days ago I had never seen or done any ecu tuning. The guy sent his laptop and interface with the truck. So I began looking at the software and getting familiar with it and reading up on tuning with that system. Finally figured out he had injector sizing set to 198.4. not sure why. Reset it to accommodate the stock 26lb injectors with manifold vacuum compensation. Got it running well. Now is there any info on why the mad and map are throwing a performance codes. I didn't change anything but injector sizing. So timing and airflow maps are still from stock tune. I did increase idle slightly.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry Maf not mad. See above

If you are getting MAF and MAP codes I would suspect that you wiring issues.

Being that the tune side didn't change that information. Post the tune file here if you want and we can see if anything else has changed.

Or find a stock 2005 Silverado file and compared the two.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I currently don't have access to the repository,because I don't have my own device yet. But I will have very soon. I will have his laptop back this afternoon,so I will post the current tune at that time. I appreciate all the help. Hopefully one day I will have the expertise to help others with problems.

Here is a 2006 Sierra file and a 2004, it should be super similar to a 2005. Worth a shot to see how much is different using the compare feature.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Well it won't let me click on the attachment. Could it be because I don't have a device registered in my name yet?

No, that shouldn't matter.

Maybe you don't have the same editor software that have on this computer. Like if you had version 4.7 but I had version 4.8, then you couldn't read the file. I believe I am using whatever is currently on the main website for download.

Potential Tuner
    I figured it out. I was reading on my phone.

Senior Tuner
    If it's P0101 and P0106 then the parameters for those diagnostics need to be adjusted for the big mutha thumper cam. If the MAF code is P0103 then it may be that whoever tuned it is forcing it to run in speed density mode. And here's a pro tip. Any time you post here about a code always say what the actual Pxxxx number is.

Potential Tuner
    Ok I will post the codes and tune as soon as I get the truck and laptop back. Also it's back to not starting until tune is reloaded. I read the tune before reflashing and compared it to the tune I was loading and they are exactly the same. Also if I just write calibration it won't start, I have to flash entire before it will run again. I am going to put a stock tune from an 06 that 5FDP shared. See if it changes anything.

Senior Tuner
    I would advise not using a 06 Calibration with 05 ETC hardware.

Senior Tuner
    And why don't you do some diagnosing when it won't start if you've been turning wrenches for 43 years? What are you missing when it won't start? Does it have fuel pressure at the rail? Does it have injector pulse? (noid light) Does it have spark?

Potential Tuner
    not sure yet, but think the problem may be a bad body module causing an intermittent electrical draw. I will post the tune the truck is running on now and the engine info and cam info. should i post it here or in a different forum. thanks for the help thusfar. need to tune it for engine mods.

Potential Tuner
    here is the info. if this isnt the right forum let me know.
    truck is a 2005 chevy silverado swb 4x4. now has a 5.3 with flat top pistons 4 valve relief, big mutha thumper cam( cam card attached). the tune is supposedly stock other than the idle and i set the injector size back to the same settings as a similar engine with 26lb injectors. if anything else was changed, it was before it got to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Daknova View Post
    here is the info. if this isnt the right forum let me know.
    truck is a 2005 chevy silverado swb 4x4. now has a 5.3 with flat top pistons 4 valve relief, big mutha thumper cam( cam card attached). the tune is supposedly stock other than the idle and i set the injector size back to the same settings as a similar engine with 26lb injectors. if anything else was changed, it was before it got to me.
    when i view the tune it says its for a 4.8 FYI