Thread: 10r80 always in park per log

Potential Tuner

10r80 always in park per log

Current and commanded gear are always park, even when we are going 40mph. We think this is why we cannot get it to shift beyond 2nd.

This is a new 3rd gen coyote crate from Ford with a 10r80.

Where should the PCM be getting a signal that it is out of park?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbronco View Post
    Current and commanded gear are always park, even when we are going 40mph. We think this is why we cannot get it to shift beyond 2nd.

This is a new 3rd gen coyote crate from Ford with a 10r80.

Where should the PCM be getting a signal that it is out of park?
    That sounds like a possible ford question, you should have a gear position sensor outputting a signal from your shifter going to the PCM and then to the TCM, possibly to both simultaneously. I'd double check all your wiring to the shifter and make sure no pins have been pulled out of the harness or bent not making proper contact.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. Ford Performance isn't getting back to me - I did try to check with them first. We've totally pulled apart the harness to check wires, check pins, etc. and have found nothing amiss. It has started to intermittently "see" the gears now, which certainly points to a hardware issue.

Right now we are starting to wonder if the harness in the Coyote kit supports the 4x4 version of the transmission. This is the only thing we've gone a bit off-script with. The rest has been assembled according to the instructions. Also, fyiw, this kit doesn't ask for the shifter itself to connect to a harness. The TCM seems to get this info from the physical cable/lever shift via the TSS.

The 10r80 does not have a physical linkage for gear selection. It has 2 (I believe) limit switches that tells the PCM where the driver has placed the lever. There is no physical connection between the shifter and the transmission. When you move the shifter, you're only changing the signal for the sensors to tell the computer what gear you have requested. The other role it serves is to engage the parking pawl when you're in park. That's it.

Good info here. Starts on page 314

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...M1802-2018.pdf
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing