Thread: 1969 Olds Cutlass 6.2/T56 LS Swap

1969 Olds Cutlass 6.2/T56 LS Swap

Alright guys, I'm giving it my best. I've LS Swapped my 69 Cutlass with a 6.2 out of a 2013 Escalade. I also had a T56 trans out of a 1999 Camaro built and I installed it. Tons of parts and a lot of modifications getting this all to just fit. All-in-all, very happy with the out come. After all the bumps and bruises I was finally able to get a stock tune in the E38 ECM (from a 2008 Tahoe) and take it for a ride. I'm not sure if I have any or all of the parameters even close. A lot of reading and youtubing, I feel I may be on track (debatable I'm sure). Nevertheless, I attached the TUNE and the SCAN. If you guys care to look it over ask any questions and give me some feedback and/or suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it. YouTube link - https://youtu.be/ldyO6qm0Q40

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    * 69 Olds Cutlass * 66 Chevy Pickup * 2015 Silverado *

Advanced Tuner
    What are you using for a fuel system? Did you convert to a return style? Fuel trims show it massively rich, are you running higher pressure than it thinks it is at?

What are you doing for the intake system/MAF? Need to log MAF frequency as well as g/s so the MAF can be tuned.

Log cylinder airmass so you can make adjustments to timing. Log knock retard and burst knock retard so you know if there is any detonation, also log knock learn factor. Log Volumetric Efficiency airflow and Dynamic airflow. Log Intake Valve temp. Intake cam position. Do you have a wideband?

Very nice car btw!

Advanced Tuner
    Forgot to add Injector tip temp.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    What are you using for a fuel system? Did you convert to a return style? Fuel trims show it massively rich, are you running higher pressure than it thinks it is at?

What are you doing for the intake system/MAF? Need to log MAF frequency as well as g/s so the MAF can be tuned.

Log cylinder airmass so you can make adjustments to timing. Log knock retard and burst knock retard so you know if there is any detonation, also log knock learn factor. Log Volumetric Efficiency airflow and Dynamic airflow. Log Intake Valve temp. Intake cam position. Do you have a wideband?

Very nice car btw!
    Hey NotSure, Thanks for the reply. I'm running a in-tank Holley 12-203 Fuel pump and it's supplying 58 PSI to the rail, no return. I am getting P0172 & P0175 Both banks running rich. New to all of this, I will setup all the parameters and do another run. I do not have a wideband I am running the original MAF that came with the Escalade to include the original air box, filter and piping.

The 2013 6.2 run a different MAP sensor than the 2008 calibration that is in the computer right now.

You need to change the MAP linear and offset settings to 2013 6.2 settings. It's something like 121.XX and -0.31 if I remember right. Your key on engine off MAP kpa should read 99-100kpa at sea level.

You also need to see if the injector data between the 2013 6.2 is the same that is in this calibration file. I suspect that the file in this computer is running smaller injectors than what the engine has.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a 2014 (carryover) 6.2 and the cal for the stock map showed 128.20 and -0.30. Assuming no one has changed the map on the engine.

My stock cal is in the repository if you want to compare. It is a yukon denali, but should be the same as an escalade as far as engine. You have to be logged into the main website (hptuners.com), not the forum, to see the uploaded tunes.

Yeah the injector data in my stock cal shows to have a bigger injector by quite a bit. Difference probably being mine is a flex fuel vehicle.

Does your Holley regulate the fuel pressure internally? Others here will know more about this, but I would think that you need to go into the Fuel Sys tab and change ALL of the boxes in Desired Fuel Pressure section to 400 kpa, since that is what it is actually running.

RESET your fuel trims with the scanner before you log another run after making changes! Every time!

I have a 2012 Escalade ECU. It had some permanent codes set so I used the 2008 ECU. Maybe with the differences I should go back to the 2012 ECU (I already licenses both)???

Advanced Tuner
    Only set the injector flow rate to the same number across the board if the pump's fuel pressure is referenced to manifold pressure. If the fuel pump does provide a constant 58 PSI, then the pressure across the injectors will vary with manifold vacuum/pressure. In that latter case, the fuel flow will vary with manifold pressure and you can't use one value across all cells of the injector flow table.

Ok Guys, I removed the 2008 Tahoe ECM & Tune and installed the 2012 Escalade ECM & stock tune. I changed the VATS, Starter fault checks, Evap & rear O2 DTC's. Are these values a little closer?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stepside66; 01-15-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The injectors are def bigger in that cal, and your map offset is what mine was at for a 2014. Actually the cal looks like it is nearly dead on from my stock one.

Ok, took the Cutlass with the new ECM & tune out for a nice long ride, It sure felt a LOT stronger. I'm not sure how to really read the scan, but, in the ST fuel trim, I think red (>0) is bad, blue (<0) is safe and white (-0-)is perfect? Do I read this right off the scanner or paste it into the table in the editor? I'll keep reading and trying to find out how to manipulate and read the data. Also, If you guys could look at the scan and see what you think. Any advice, suggestions or comments I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Stepside66; 01-15-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add Scan data

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside66 View Post
    Ok, took the Cutlass with the new ECM & tune out for a nice long ride, It sure felt a LOT stronger. I'm not sure how to really read the scan, but, in the ST fuel trim, I think red (>0) is bad, blue (<0) is safe and white (-0-)is perfect? Do I read this right off the scanner or paste it into the table in the editor? I'll keep reading and trying to find out how to manipulate and read the data. Also, If you guys could look at the scan and see what you think. Any advice, suggestions or comments I'd appreciate it.
    Did I miss the scan?
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Did I miss the scan?
    Dhoagland, I tried to attach the scan but, it was to large, so I had to export a portion of it. It should be visible now.

Starter Log

Here is a very basic layout... To get your MAF error you need to add MAF frequency to your channels...
    But here you have a MAF error and a VVE error graph..

To tune them you need to set your tune in MAF only, Tune it.
    Then fail the MAF, tune the VVE...

There are lots of good Videos on both, but this layout gets you an idea where you are, which according to the VVE log you are rich, which is good
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Here is a very basic layout... To get your MAF error you need to add MAF frequency to your channels...
    But here you have a MAF error and a VVE error graph..

To tune them you need to set your tune in MAF only, Tune it.
    Then fail the MAF, tune the VVE...

There are lots of good Videos on both, but this layout gets you an idea where you are, which according to the VVE log you are rich, which is good
    Thanks Dhoagland, I'm looking at the starter layout now. I'm assuming I need to match the Engine Speed RPM Axis to match the VVE table in the editor. I'll also look for some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside66 View Post
    Thanks Dhoagland, I'm looking at the starter layout now. I'm assuming I need to match the Engine Speed RPM Axis to match the VVE table in the editor. I'll also look for some videos.
    Yes, double check the axis numbers. I think I matched them to your tune file...
    Goat Rope Garage videos are pretty straight forward.

Advanced Tuner
    Take a look at this thread before disabling the MAF.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4

I would also log:

VE Airflow
    Mass Air Frequency
    Dynamic Airflow
    Cylinder Airmass
    Intake Valve Temp
    Injector Tip Temp
    Burst Knock Retard
    Knock Learn Factor

There are probably some gains to be had in adjusting the PE ratio, but you cannot safely do that unless you have a wideband.

Are you planning on keeping DOD active? Better fuel economy with it active but some people disable it due to risk of lifter collapse. Engine may go 300k with no problems, or it may not.

There is a bit of buffering built into the electronic throttle in 1st gear for an auto, not sure what it will do in your case with a manual. If it is still active you might actually want to keep it or adjust it to reduce pedal sensitivity. I can tell you it was annoying with an auto in parking lot maneuvers to me. It is under Airflow/Electronic Throttle/Area Rate Limits.

It would not hurt to raise the Power Enrich Ramp-In/Out rate from stock, and lower the Throttle/Hot % as well, to kick it in sooner. Keep in mind the throttle is based on the electronic throttle and not tps. I would say to lower the Delay rpm also, but it looks like it is not coming into play due to the timer being zero'd.

Don't forget to reset your fuel trims in the scanner, after you make changes, and before you log again!