Thread: 99-04 Mustang Help

Tuner in Training

99-04 Mustang Help

Hey everyone!

Very new to car tuning, just got my MPVI2 the other day. I've been watching and reading a lot of videos and forums etc. but still feel very lost. To make a long story short, I'm working on my 02 Mustang GT with a 5.4 swap. I had it dyno tuned about a month ago, but feel it was not a very good tune. Not making the power it should, running rich, horrible idle etc.
    I figured I would learn how to do it myself, so here I am.

I'm very confused on how to tune these specific cars (EEC-V). I'm not seeing a lot of videos and resources on these, I know support for them has been limited until recently (side note- VCM scanner hasn't been working for me, makes my tach and speedo go crazy and doesn't really log). Is there any resources anyone recommends I look at? Very confused on a lot of the terminology of the tables, like how borderline spark table has to do with timing. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!

When I swapped the engine, it had come out of another car that had been tuned on an SCT x2 years ago. I've been comparing the files trying to learn that way as well, and see if my tuner left any power on the table.

Thanks!

What all is done besides the engine swap? can you post the file your referring to?

Tuner in Training
    So here is more backstory and the file of the tune I got on this swap (sorry for the long post):

Its a 5.4 2v motor out of an 2002 F150. Still using the GT computer which is why I am able to tune it with HP Tuners. It has:
    -Adapter Plates with a Trickflow trackheat intake system (to be able to use in the Mustang)
    -75mm throttle body and cold air intake (SR performance)
    -90mm maf (have to retune for this, just installed)
    -FR shorty headers (only things that would allow this to fit)
    -24lb Ford Racing Injectors
    -Accel Coils
    -Flowmaster exhaust
    -Comp Stage 3 cams (270ah)
    -4.10 rear
    -93 oct

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the cams, as that was done before I owned the engine. It definitely sounds cammed, but whether it is stage 3 I am not completely sure of, it was what I was told. I also have a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side due to the wider nature of the engine, but I'm getting that fixed shortly. I'm sure that's causing some of the idle issues.

Attached is the file of the tune I got a month ago, labeled Ryan Mustang Nov 20 Base. The other one, 93 Oct Tune 5.4 Performance Dyno is the one that was on the x2 when the previous owner had it dynoed. I havent changed any of the fueling or air on mine with his, because the previous owner had 19lb injectors. But the timing stuff seems way off. It seems way too high in the Ryan Mustang Nov 20 Base tune. The tuner told me that when he increased the timing, the power went down. Other things like COT disabled (my car does have cats sadly) makes me feel like this isn't a good tune for my car.

Thanks againRyan Mustang Nov 20 Base.hpt93 Oct Tune 5.4 Performance Dyno.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    the 5.4 and 4.6 are basically the same

Your car is basically stock with bolt ons. Nothing you have done is going to give you any noticeable performance gains.

Quote Originally Posted by radcartuning View Post
    So here is more backstory and the file of the tune I got on this swap (sorry for the long post):

Its a 5.4 2v motor out of an 2002 F150. Still using the GT computer which is why I am able to tune it with HP Tuners. It has:
    -Adapter Plates with a Trickflow trackheat intake system (to be able to use in the Mustang)
    -75mm throttle body and cold air intake (SR performance)
    -90mm maf (have to retune for this, just installed)
    -FR shorty headers (only things that would allow this to fit)
    -24lb Ford Racing Injectors
    -Accel Coils
    -Flowmaster exhaust
    -Comp Stage 3 cams (270ah)
    -4.10 rear
    -93 oct

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the cams, as that was done before I owned the engine. It definitely sounds cammed, but whether it is stage 3 I am not completely sure of, it was what I was told. I also have a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side due to the wider nature of the engine, but I'm getting that fixed shortly. I'm sure that's causing some of the idle issues.

Attached is the file of the tune I got a month ago, labeled Ryan Mustang Nov 20 Base. The other one, 93 Oct Tune 5.4 Performance Dyno is the one that was on the x2 when the previous owner had it dynoed. I havent changed any of the fueling or air on mine with his, because the previous owner had 19lb injectors. But the timing stuff seems way off. It seems way too high in the Ryan Mustang Nov 20 Base tune. The tuner told me that when he increased the timing, the power went down. Other things like COT disabled (my car does have cats sadly) makes me feel like this isn't a good tune for my car.

Thanks againRyan Mustang Nov 20 Base.hpt93 Oct Tune 5.4 Performance Dyno.hpt
    Good start for me before I add boost.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Good start for me before I add boost.
    You also have a 5.4 swapped mustang?

Tuner in Training
    Putting the power aside for a moment, I'm more concerned on just how to tune these things. What forums/webpages should I look at? I understand the general concept, but the specific Ford labels (like Borderline Spark and Failed Maf for example) I am not sure about. I'm not sure what I should be adjusting. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

No but I’m running a Gt500 supercharger on my 5.4 and splicing in a Copperhead pcm to run a 6r80 transmission soon.

Advanced Tuner
    start reading on efidynotuning.com

you can go from the top on down its in strategic order.

Please if you find anything incorrect or misspelled or conflicting or unclear info do let me know.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    No but I’m running a Gt500 supercharger on my 5.4 and splicing in a Copperhead pcm to run a 6r80 transmission soon.
    That sounds like a sweet project!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    start reading on efidynotuning.com

you can go from the top on down its in strategic order.

Please if you find anything incorrect or misspelled or conflicting or unclear info do let me know.
    Awesome, thanks!