Thread: VCT phaser, actuator, install or PCM issues?

Tuner in Training

VCT phaser, actuator, install or PCM issues?

Gen 2 Coyote, comp NSR cams recently installed. No limiters installed. Car keeps going into VCT disabled and wont move to anything else. After first crank it tries to go into optimum stability for a few seconds and goes into VCT disabled. I believe it goes into VCT disabled because the exhaust cams cant hit target after a few seconds.

Observations:

-Upon initial start bank 2 cams are within about 5 degrees of 0 whereas bank 1 cams are about 20-25 degrees off. Does this mean cam timing on bank 1 is off a tooth on the crank? My understanding is after initial start the cams are essentially in their neutral position and should align with each other(bank to bank).

-In the few seconds it hits optimum stability the intake cams align with target, exhaust timing target goes to 0 and neither cam hits target and is off by ~12 degrees. Bank 2 error reads 0 degrees even though the cam isn't hitting target whereas bank 1 error reads the error of ~12 degrees. So is this an issue with the scanner error PID or am I missing something here?

-Lastly the bank 1 duty cycle for the exhaust cam actuator never reads over 0.0%. Is this again an issue with the scanner PID's or is this something else. The cam has some movement so I believe the actuator is moving, but maybe its not displaying the percentage?

Thanks for the feedback.

VCT issue.PNG
    https://forum.hptuners.com/asset.php...3&d=1610811054

If you have startup logs with cam data included I'd like to see them. PM me or post up the logs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

here you go, stock cam/distance tables/gen2 5.0 manual trans
    post up your resolution when you get to it please.

cam startup.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim5.0 View Post
    here you go, stock cam/distance tables/gen2 5.0 manual trans
    post up your resolution when you get to it please.

cam startup.hpl
    Thank you for posting, your cam errors for all 4 cams are nearly zero the entire log, much better than mine.

Do you ever see movement in the exhaust cam desired angle? Both logs posted show 0.0 target the entire time. Wondering if this is a scanner issue or something else.

i didnt notice that at first. desired angle does function right in the scanner too. here is a bit longer cold start and backing out of the driveway. once its gets to a different mapped point exh follows and logs as expected for that channel.

cam start 2.hpl