Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam phase adjustment - 6.4 SRT 300 ( 2012 ) New Cam - New Tune?

Tuner in Training
    Being that I am brand new to this myself, I basically researched all I could, pulled my original tune and compared it to all the tunes I could find in the forum with a CAM upgrade of similar size. So lots of digging and changing number and trying different setups. Hemituna helped me out a lot because like you a lot of the terms and formulas needed to the right ratios, I just do not know and are still researching and learning. My truck is my daily driver, so I HAD to get it running...lol …. Its still not at peak performance, but it does run pretty good now. I still want to get a custom dyno at some point. I live in Tampa and there's only 1 tuner here that does Dodges/Jeeps but he specializes in the trackhawk versions and recommended a remote tuner for me. I want to actually go to a tuner and watch the full process.

Tuner in Training
    Finally got my car all back together, and fired up. I used the factory tune from it's previous running condition and turned off the MDS. Fired right off, and sounds mechanically good. So I'm pretty happy with all of that.
    It's not throwing any codes, or anything. I'm able to monitor it all in the scanner, so that shows me a lot.
    Problem is, it won't idle. I can "throttle it at 1500" and it's smooth, maybe even 1200, but it won't idle. I see it filling in tables in the scanner page as it's, so I guess that means it's learning?
    Is the CAM that different that it won't correct itself to make an idle?

Desired Angle is what the computer is wanting the cam to be set at. Actual is what is actually happening.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! Makes sense.
    Is there something I'm missing where all of these terms are defined? I'm brand new to the HP tuner
    Thanks!

I'm lost on a lot of this stuff as well. Make a list of what you don't know and maybe people that know will give a description. I'll start.
    IAT - Inlet Air Temperature measured by a sensor located between the throttle body and air filter.
    ECT- Engine coolant temperature.
    DFCO- I believe it stands for deceleration fuel cut off. Injectors stop spraying when you let off of the gas and are coasting.
    WOT- Wide open throttle.
    Open Loop- Occurs at WOT and the engine depends on air temperature, pressure, rpm, etc. to calculate the amount of fuel delivered.
    Closed Loop- Occurs at part throttle and uses oxygen sensors to determine the amount of fuel needed to hit the correct air fuel ratio (AFR)
    VE- Volumetric efficiency is the efficacy of cylinder filling of air fuel per cycle. The highest VE is peak torque. 100 % VE is the theoretical max for cylinder filling but a good intake/exhaust system can actually drive this number even higher than 100% due to savaging. And blowers drive this number
    Scavenging- When an exhaust pulse through a header tube acts like a syringe and pulls air from the intake into the cylinder during overlap (when intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time)
    ETC- Electronic Throttle control
    PID- Proportional Integral, and Derivative - 3 equations that are used to predict and control a process. If incorrect values are pugged in the process parameters will swing or never reach setpoint (desired value)
    WOT Spark- Ignition timing at wide open throttle. Usually less than part throttle ignition timing because of increased cylinder filling.
    VVT- Variable Valve Timing
    VVT lock pin- I'm not sure about this one but I believe that it is full advance or home in degrees for a VVT cam.
    Speed Density- Dodges use this system as opposed to a mass air flow system. Speed density uses pressure, rpm, ve, and temperature to calculate the correct AFR (air fuel ratio) GM and Ford also use this system in conjunction with a mass air flow sensor. This sensor works by utilizing a wire with an electric current passing through it. The higher the airflow over the wire the more it cools the wire and changes it's resistance. This change in resistance is what the computer uses to calculate airflow to the throttle body.

Please feel free to correct any bad info.

Tuner in Training
    Yep, good list. I'll post my inquiries too! Thank you for that info.

There's a lot to learn. I might have to pay someone to do the initial tune for me. If I knew the minor cam change I made was going to result in this much effort, I probably would have just put the stock on back in. I bet I won't see a 0.1 second improvement (if that) at the Friday nite drags, and it's just too much effort!!!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the definitions party340, helped me understand a few things I was confused on as well. Viper, my experience is exactly identical to yours, I would have just went back to a stock cam myself if I knew what all was involved in even doing a small upgrade.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate that. Thought maybe I was a knucklehead! Now I know maybe there are two knuckleheads! Just kidding of course.
    I'm probably going to get the "professional tune". It's just too many unknowns. When I do, I will be HAPPY to send it to you as thanks for all of your help!

Tuner in Training
    That would be awesome and I'm definitely a knucklehead when it comes to this.

Tuner in Training
    Dude, send me your email address/a quick contact to mine= GTSViperATAOLDOTCOM

Tuner in Training
    tkemp74atgmaildotcom