Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam phase adjustment - 6.4 SRT 300 ( 2012 ) New Cam - New Tune?

Tuner in Training

Cam phase adjustment - 6.4 SRT 300 ( 2012 ) New Cam - New Tune?

Hi,
    I installed a new cam (very mild street grind - comp cams) in my car after the lifter froze up an destroyed the factory one.
    I am going to tune the car using the HP Tuner interface. I have not yet accessed the car or investigated this on my own.
    Can anyone tell me do you get a "map" or reading in real time of the Cam phasor setting as a function of how the car is being driven?
    And, for the sake of discussion, can you re-map this (the cam advance) to anything you may choose?
    And, question #3 are there existing "tunes" out there in the world I could reference? Maybe not use them, but maybe see what other people have done? ( I'll gladly share whatever I come up with.)
    Thanks!
    Rich

Tuner in Training
    Hey man, hows it going i was in your same situation. I have 2014 Jeep SRT.. lifter froze and ruined stock CAM.. I also decided to do a mild upgrade. Stage 1 COMP CAM... Im new to this whole tuning thing as well so i know the struggle. Here's what i have so far as far as my tune goes. I cant say it's the best but it works very well for me. Hopefully this will be a good base tune for you. I'm researching some fine tuning but so far so good with this one. Eventually i'll get a dyno by a professional. Until then i needed my ride drivable. Good luck, and i'd like to know how it turns out for you. TK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tkemp View Post
    Hey man, hows it going i was in your same situation. I have 2014 Jeep SRT.. lifter froze and ruined stock CAM.. I also decided to do a mild upgrade. Stage 1 COMP CAM... Im new to this whole tuning thing as well so i know the struggle. Here's what i have so far as far as my tune goes. I cant say it's the best but it works very well for me. Hopefully this will be a good base tune for you. I'm researching some fine tuning but so far so good with this one. Eventually i'll get a dyno by a professional. Until then i needed my ride drivable. Good luck, and i'd like to know how it turns out for you. TK
    Your cam settings are very retarded at PT and with 114lsa, can't see it liking that very much.
    WOT is better but be aware that when you use full advance (134) it may use the lockpin spark tables.
    I responded to your earlier thread and put some suggested numbers in to try for that cam.

Tuner in Training
    I definitely appreciate your advice.. This is where my none experience comes into play, so I will make the adjustments.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info. I will be sure to let you know how I progress.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting.
    Sorry, I have not looked at tkemps files yet, but am interesting in an education.
    Is 114 the cam Centerline when in operation? So it appears that it is possible to see this active/real time?

Tuner in Training
    Tkemp,
    I assume you did the MDS delete?
    Have you done any other engine modifications other than the cam? Did you put the mechanical cam advance limiting in the cam phaser?
    I'll look at your files tonight when I get in front of my tuner.
    I'm really new to all of this. Sorry for all the silly questions!

Tuner in Training
    Viper, yes I did the Mds delete...I would hate to ever run into the lifter issue again. I have a cold air intake, and a jet performance throttle with a afe exhaust so I’m trying to dial it all in and get the best performance I can. I’m gonna be updating my file as well to include the pointers from hemi.. I’ll share the file when completed and tested. Oh yes I also added a cam phaser.

Tuner in Training

Interesting - MDS delete - lifter failure?

Quote Originally Posted by tkemp View Post
    Viper, yes I did the Mds delete...I would hate to ever run into the lifter issue again. I have a cold air intake, and a jet performance throttle with a afe exhaust so I?m trying to dial it all in and get the best performance I can. I?m gonna be updating my file as well to include the pointers from hemi.. I?ll share the file when completed and tested. Oh yes I also added a cam phaser.

Thanks for the dialog. Appreciate it!
    I'm interested in your perspective on the lifter failure. Do you think this was directly related to the MDS system? (I did the delete of course). My failure was on # 8 cylinder. To me, and from some of the UTUBE videos I've watched, there is a lot of speculation that the failure relates to poor oiling of the lifter wheel. I'm fully on board with that, as it only gets oiled when the crank flings oil up onto it. To me, it seems the engine has a serious design flaw. DON'T let it idle for extended periods!

When you replaced your lifters, did you upgrade to the Hell CAT lifter? I notice that they have a larger set of roller bearings versus the factory.

I'm very interested in getting into the tuning, and will gladly share any of my efforts!

Thanks again!

Tuner in Training
    Viper, honestly im not sure if it was because of the MDS the lifter that froze was not one of the MDS lifters. I also read and read and watched videos wondering that same thing. I decided in the end to just delete the MDS and add the upgraded Hellcat lifters. I agree with the engine design flaw, Love the engine and its performance but the amount of damage one lifter can cause is crazy and expensive.

Tuner in Training
    Check out my post "CAM exhaust max position" my latest tune with the help of Hemituna is posted at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdude1 View Post
    Thanks for the dialog. Appreciate it!
    I'm interested in your perspective on the lifter failure. Do you think this was directly related to the MDS system? (I did the delete of course). My failure was on # 8 cylinder. To me, and from some of the UTUBE videos I've watched, there is a lot of speculation that the failure relates to poor oiling of the lifter wheel. I'm fully on board with that, as it only gets oiled when the crank flings oil up onto it. To me, it seems the engine has a serious design flaw. DON'T let it idle for extended periods!
    The failure is an Oiling issue combined with poor valve springs, when the Engine goes in to MDS mode the Lifters only oil supply comes from the pushrods, the MDS solenoid plugs the oil feed hole from the main oil galley , when these engines are in NON-Mds mode the lifters are feed from both the Push rods and a feed off of the main galley. , the Valves springs especially on the 2011-2014 5.7s are known for their inconsistent open pressure allowing the "collapsed" MDS lifter to bounce on the cam. I go in to detail about how the oiling system works in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl5a5kY1D0c&t=5s
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    I hear what you're suggesting, but lets agree on a significant issue: The lifter WHEEL freezes as it has no direct oiling of it. It only gets oiled by what is flung off the crankshaft, leaks PAST the lifter, etc, etc. I bet most of the field failures are on the lifters nearest the back of the block, right? These in the back are less likely to get the benefit of the higher oil pressures nearer the front of block/pump.

Why are there not class action suits being taking about this obviously wide spread problem?

Tuner in Training
    For anyone who is interested, attached is the factory tune on 300 SRT.
    I'm going to be attempting to tune the cam timing (and other things) to get benefit from the camshaft replacement/upgrade.
    I'll gladly listen to recommendations, as I am new to the entire subject.
    Thanks!300 first read 1-24-2021.hpt20201229_203737_resized.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Im with you Viper, for the amount of damage and the cost to repair a bad lifter damage. There should have been a recall issued im my opinion.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I'm not going to sit back and take no for an answer from Chrysler Corp. I'll let you know what happens. My car has less than 40k miles on it. It's absurd!
    Did you have a chance to (could you please? ) take a look at my tune and offer any comment?
    I'm ready to fire it up, but don't want to risk anything if I first need to do something with the cam advance, or whatever. I really know nothing about it all, and your miles ahead of me! Any comment would be very much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going to turn off the MDS and claim "fire in the hole"!
    Thanks!
    Rich

Tuner in Training
    Tkemp
    You did this tune on your own?
    I did a compare to my factory tune on my 300 and it appears there is a LOT different!

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone suggest where I can get a definition of the terms used on the camshaft tab?
    See attached.300 cam page - first reading.pdf

Tuner in Training
    Viper here's the tune I have loaded at the moment. Hemituna was graceful enough to help me out with the numbers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again!
    I'm wondering, where are those various terms defined? Is there a list of definitions someplace?
    For example, what does "desired angle" mean technically? Or are these items which are generally known?
    So when you built your tune, did you do all new entry's, or simply adjust a couple items? Did you rebuild the matrix's (one is shown in the attached example - poor photo. Sorry).
    Sorry, lots of questions!20210127_151235_resized.jpg