Thread: 1971 Cutlass -Transplant - LSA/6L90e out of a CTSv Coupe- Help with Tap Shifting

Potential Tuner

1971 Cutlass -Transplant - LSA/6L90e out of a CTSv Coupe- Help with Tap Shifting

Howdy folks,

I have an issue that is causing me to lose hair (it has to happen sometime, I suppose). My Cutlass is 98% done, and I can't seem to get tap shifting working.

The Car is a 71 Cutlass using an LSA/6L90e out of a 2012 CTSv coupe as the donor vehicle.

Stock Computer - E67(I have to re-verify, but at the moment, she is getting paint touched up)
    Lokar Shifter - INS0169 Electronic Sport Mode Shifter
    Speartech 6L80/6L90e Thapshifter kit (* they say it is not supporting the E67)

I have been told 100 times now that it's in the tune. My tuner says it's not going into sport mode and can manually up/downshift using the tech2.

I am at my wit's end. I have talked to Locar and verified the shifter. Speartech says it is in the tune.

With a Tech 2, we can see the signals, and we can shift it via the tuner, but it won't seem to get into Sport Mode when the shifter is slid over to the tap up/down.

I am not married to the shifter or the speartech. If someone has a thought, please let me know.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

First Burnout Baseline Tune (needs to manually shift into second to do the final- I am stuck).

Static Pics
    NewRimsDside.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bear71Olds; 01-19-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Not to distract from your original question, but Nice Car!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, but I was hoping someone would have some thoughts or point me in the right direction. I am new here, and as you can see, I jumped in with both feet with my LSA.

Tuner in Training
    In stock form, the BCM monitors the shifter control and then tells the ECM and the TCM what it is doing over the CAN bus.

How is yours wired up?

Tuner in Training
    Looking over speartechs website, if they are mimicking the BCM CAN signals to the ECM and TCM, why would you need to change anything in the tune?

Also, if you bought their product, why wouldn't they tell you exactly what needs to be changed to use their product?

Using the Tech 2 and HP tuners to shift tells you the calibration in the ECM and TCM are correct as the factory signals from the Tech2 and the Hp Tuners Scanner are correctly telling the ECM/TCM to shift.

But like I said, if Speartechs signals are not exactly like the factory then they should be able to tell you what needs to be changed to accept their shift signals.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero View Post
    In stock form, the BCM monitors the shifter control and then tells the ECM and the TCM what it is doing over the CAN bus.

How is yours wired up?
    Mine is wired as the speartech says to the up/down shift. It is just not working the computer is seeming to not show that it is going into sport mode. I have the detent correct on the shifter. I am about ready to toss the speartech junk out but can't seem to find a good alternative.

Thank you !

If you are wired directly into the TCM you need the resistance ladder provided from the speartech box. Beings that the only OS, to my knowledge, that uses the direct wired approach is the vette. I use the vette OS to run TUTD functions in 95% of our builds and custom installs. I have used multiple other OS versions and was successful in getting all to work right. One issue with the 6L80 version of the lokar shifter is it does not have the extra detent to tell the TCM to turn on and exit the TUTD, the switches then execute the command to shift up or down through a resistance ladder. I have got the lokar one to work and that was only using the one detent, the issue was it would not exit TUTD without shifting to neutral and back to drive. I have modified the lokar shifter to add another detent change which isnt difficult to do, problem is then the knob is off. Lokar now offers a ford 6r80 version that has a Drive and Sport detent and I bet those will work without much headache. I try and use the stock corvette shifters in the cars we build as the detent change, cable install and resistance ladder is built into the shifter.

So...
    I think there are a couple issues here that need looked at. One is tune file and the other is mechanical/electrical actuation of the TUTD system. You need to provide a copy of your tune file and log of all the trans channels needed to see a better picture of what you have going on.
    2017 Crew Short 4x4 - 575hp/581trq at the tire
    2017 C7 GS 3LT - All stock for now, waiting impatiently for shop time to install parts

Potential Tuner
    I can get a copy of the tune file tomorrow and upload it. Thanks. I have modified the Lokar shifter correctly to get detents. I have had feedback that the CTSv and the Vett are not the same. I am not tied to any of the physical if I have to get a new shifter; I am ok with that; I need to control shifting for the dyno manually, and well, I want to .

So the detent thing is less likely. That leaves calibration and/or electrical.

A tune file, a log of all parameters necessary and how its all wired up specifically would be helpful
    2017 Crew Short 4x4 - 575hp/581trq at the tire
    2017 C7 GS 3LT - All stock for now, waiting impatiently for shop time to install parts

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MakesBadDecisions View Post
    So the detent thing is less likely. That leaves calibration and/or electrical.

A tune file, a log of all parameters necessary and how its all wired up specifically would be helpful
    Sorry man I will get this as soon as possible. Work has taken my time since last Saturday. I appreciate you replying I will have it as soon as I get an hour or so that is not tied up with emergency.