Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bricked ECM

Potential Tuner
    how was it fixed if you don?t mind me asking? We?re you able to recover it through flashing or did you have to open it up

Tuner in Training
    WIsh I would have saw this post before my truck no longer works. I tried to change tune files and now my scan tool will not even connect to the truck. What happened? Does that mean I need to buy a new ECM thanks to HP tuners?

Banned
    Depends really. Is it stuck in rom boot or is it full on bricked. If it?s stuck in rom boot it can be recovered. But if something happened like a corrupted bootloader, which I have seen happen, you are buying a new ecm.

Potential Tuner moparblood@gmail.com's Avatar
    2020 cummins. just tried to load a file, it bricked the pcm, tried to load oem file. still nothing. used our oem scanner and pcm is bricked.??? any ideas except a 3k pcm from dealership?

Banned
    Bench flash and hope HPT did not corrupt the bootloader like I?ve seen it do before

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    2020 cummins. just tried to load a file, it bricked the pcm, tried to load oem file. still nothing. used our oem scanner and pcm is bricked.??? any ideas except a 3k pcm from dealership?
    Just FYI I had this happen on a 2020 3500 dually recently as well, It would "flash all the way through" and at the end say checksum error. I sent HP the PCM and they've had it since january 6th with no luck... My customer was hot shotting so I had to buy one from the dealer, I think it was 2780$ with tax. Then paid a guy who worked at dodge and had access to a MDP interface 50$$ to flash a stock file in the new PCM and program all modules that it required along with the secret key BS. I ended up flashing that new PCM with a ez lynk device without issue. If you have a 2020MY I'd stay away from HP, Something isn't right at the moment.

Banned
    you can send me the pcm and i can try and restore it for you. i have a few ways to bench flash and even bench flash using hpt. I have seen SCT and HPT have issues with unlock before writing. and sometimes it has to do with the bypass obd cable. As long as the eprom files are still there i can flash a stock file back in it.

Banned
    With the 2019+ Ram Cummins trucks there is a much deeper issue going on than a simple bypass cable and HP Tuners isn?t the only platform faced with the problem, but is the worst of the ones faced with the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    With the 2019+ Ram Cummins trucks there is a much deeper issue going on than a simple bypass cable and HP Tuners isn?t the only platform faced with the problem, but is the worst of the ones faced with the problem.
    Jim p I went to read a 2012 6.7 yesterday the process failed twice during the read. After I can't get the truck to start . There is no communication any more between the truck and ecm or any scanner . I use yhe newest bets. Any idea what could of happen just reading the truck? .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    you can send me the pcm and i can try and restore it for you. i have a few ways to bench flash and even bench flash using hpt. I have seen SCT and HPT have issues with unlock before writing. and sometimes it has to do with the bypass obd cable. As long as the eprom files are still there i can flash a stock file back in it.
    can you do this for MED.17.1.1 VAG?

I know its very different, or can you refer me to anyone. Mine is stuck in boot mode after car dying during flash

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrich0908 View Post
    Jim p I went to read a 2012 6.7 yesterday the process failed twice during the read. After I can't get the truck to start . There is no communication any more between the truck and ecm or any scanner . I use yhe newest bets. Any idea what could of happen just reading the truck? .
    same problem with me just happened. i have a 2011 3500 with 6.7. just trying to read it in the first place bricked my ecm. all the lights on the dash are on, flashed no bus. now wont start or talk to the laptop

I advise to avoid using Hptuners for cummins. It's still bricking ECUs, some of them beyond repair.
    I do a lot of diesel remote tuning, I use Efilive for that but some people only have hptuners. I have recovered like 10 ECUs that the owner swears that the only thing they did was try to read the stock file. The read failed then truck won't start and there is no communication with the ECU. I believe it because several guys from different places have told me the same.
    Others fail at write stage, similar results.
    The worst are CM2450 but it's also happening to CM2350 and older.
    I have seen some that were left in an unrecoverable state. By unrecoverable I mean Efilive, Chrysler J2534/CDA6, Ktag, Flex, Trasdata, etc. all will fail to recover it even in boot mode.
    Yesterday a customer had a 2019 Ram that he tried to read with latest stable version, it failed and the ECU was left blank and unrecoverable, see picture.
    This means he needs to pay $1500 for a used ECU plus the work to virginize, reflash it and immo relearn at the dealer. If a used ECU can't be found he will need to purchase a new one from dealer.

For comparison, I have had several failed writes with Efilive and CM2450, I suspect the bypass cable not being 100% reliable. However all of them were recoverable and they took the full write after 1 or 2 retries. Efi does not allow reading so there must be a reason. Not a single failure with CM2350 or older either in vehicle or on the bench.

Best Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We suggest opening a support ticket if you are having a flashing issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"