Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Bricked ECM

Tuner in Training
    I hope someone hears back as to a root cause. I really want to try HPT shortly. Not for a Dodge though, but for a Ford to start.

i got a reply back ad this was it
    "Hello,

The engineers provided a Fix for this in the latest BETA version. Our apologies for the inconvenience."
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-ffc View Post
    i got a reply back ad this was it
    "Hello,

The engineers provided a Fix for this in the latest BETA version. Our apologies for the inconvenience."
    I tried the BETA and it didn't work. I tried it on the old ECM (recommendation from support) when I got the write error. I am not confident in trying it on my new ECM. If they provided me a way to full flash the ECM if the write failed or some kind of recovery option, then it wouldn't be a problem. Without a restore/recovery option then there is no way.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I tried the BETA and it didn't work. I tried it on the old ECM (recommendation from support) when I got the write error. I am not confident in trying it on my new ECM. If they provided me a way to full flash the ECM if the write failed or some kind of recovery option, then it wouldn't be a problem. Without a restore/recovery option then there is no way.
    i don't blame you I feel super lucky mine got going again
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I made 34 tune changes and flashes over the last year to my truck. Only the last one failed and bricked my ECM. The last one I made after updating to VCM Editor 4.8.7. I didn't think anything of it at the time other than trying to get it to work. Now with others having similar issues, it looks like there is something different in the latest release that is suspect. I even sent my ECM to support to test and try to flash it. They were unsuccessful and never gave me a root cause for the failure. Without knowing the "why", I won't brick another ECM that cost me $1300.
    I understand...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Banned
    So this is how messed up my trucks become since the original ECM got bricked, the wireless ignition module does not send the secret key for the skim to the ECM anymore but the truck still starts and runs. Wanted to start with a fresh tune file in EFILive, forgot to set the VIN in the tune file before flashing it in, still starts and runs.

what ECU is in your truck. i use Flex for a lot for ECU recovery and cloning.

Banned
    Same ECM that?s in every 2010-2012, the CM2200.

okay in the ecu list for dimsport i see cm2100 this is why i asked. they do not show a cm2200 but doesn't mean they don't support it

Banned
    CM2100 is the 07.5-09 6.7. I got my Cummins hardware now, whenever I get time I?ll be seeing if I can get my original ECM recovered with it.

Potential Tuner
    Seems like I am having the same issue on a 2003 cummins. I tuned it yesterday with no issue and then made changes and tried to flash again this morning and it failed halfway through and will not communicate with the ecm anymore. Has anyone found a way to fix this or am I going to have to buy a new ecm?

Tuner in Training
    What is the actual error saying.

Potential Tuner
    I dont remember the specific error but it failed half way through a flash and then when I re-tried it would try to flash but never acually started. It failed to even recognize the ecm and start the process. I then tried to read the ecm which I know technically doesnt work on an 03 but once again all I got was a detect protocol failed message. after messing around with a few things for 30 min or better I decided to disconnect the batteries and go home for the night and maybe give it one more shot the next day. To my suprise everything worked as it should when I reconnected the batteries the next morning and tried it again. The file flashed with success and there have been no issues since.

Banned
    Got lucky

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Got lucky
    Add another 2005 to the bricked pile. I've been going back and forth with support for a couple of months on a project truck that I was able to write to multiple times and then it just stopped being able to write. Had to setup a bench harness and can't read anything just get an error.

This is a stand alone setup and being a 2005 doesn't look like EFI Live is an option for me. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can go to as an option? I have a new ECU but don't want to fry another one. Just need this dang motor to work stand alone with an external fuel pump.

Has anyone flashed anything newer? Like 2017 and up? I was happy about the new dodge support but i'm not looking forward to a bricked ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Was everyone using the MVPI2 or the original MVPI interface?
    2003 Ram 2500 QC LB 4x4 48RE 5.9HO 87000 miles all stock

Potential Tuner
    Cm2350 works fine. I Bricked a cm2450 ($3k ecm nationwide backordered) Heard from others more than 20 cm2450s being bricked by hp as well.

Banned
    Old thread to bring to life but it?s due to bad software build. I haven?t bricked a single cm2350 or cm2450 but long time ago had multiple cm2200?s brick on me including my own truck and it really did a number on my truck, never been right since. I was able to recover my original ecm and it?s a backup now for a just in case.