Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricked ECM

Banned

Bricked ECM

Well, I hesitated for the longest time to actually use HP Tuners on my truck, finally did, wrote a few times to the ECM and now it?s bricked my ECM. Does not recognize the key is on to turn the bus on.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Well, I hesitated for the longest time to actually use HP Tuners on my truck, finally did, wrote a few times to the ECM and now it?s bricked my ECM. Does not recognize the key is on to turn the bus on.
    Wow, really? What year is your truck? I'm assuming you have a recovery file you can use via the other platform's tuning hardware to revive it?

That's crazy!

I've heard of issues like these occurring due to checksum errors when flashtbacj to stock from other tuning platforms before. But I'm sure you're just as aware of these issues as anyone.

Tuner
    I just had a failure today as well. Mine states "controller init: failed". It will try to write and after like 5 seconds I get the error. When I try to read it says "detect protocol failed" It is like the bus in not there. Could I be experiencing the same issue? I opened a ticket with support, but haven't heard back yet. Right now my rig is a giant paper weight.

-dieseldude
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

On my 2010, I had a something similar happen. One time, HP Tuners erased the ECM, but then failed to connect, and nothing worked. I walked away after messing with it for a bit to write an email to HP Tuners, and when I went back out, everything worked just fine. I hope that happens for you...
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreemanak View Post
    On my 2010, I had a something similar happen. One time, HP Tuners erased the ECM, but then failed to connect, and nothing worked. I walked away after messing with it for a bit to write an email to HP Tuners, and when I went back out, everything worked just fine. I hope that happens for you...
    I hope so too. I have tried charging my batteries, cleaning the battery connections, checking the connectors on the TIPM. I have tried to write like 10 times with the same error.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Wow, really? What year is your truck? I'm assuming you have a recovery file you can use via the other platform's tuning hardware to revive it?

That's crazy!

I've heard of issues like these occurring due to checksum errors when flashtbacj to stock from other tuning platforms before. But I'm sure you're just as aware of these issues as anyone.
    It?s a 2012. Nothing works to try to flash anything to it. I?ve had the dash say no bus at one point. HP Tuners says Init: Fail. MM3 won?t read make connection the ECM, EFI Live returns a $0549: Ignition is turned off error, even though the fob is in the run position.

Needless to say, I?m pretty pissed. I?ve tried every avenue I have available to try to get it to work on something for hours and have gotten nowhere and I don?t have my Cummins hardware with me to hook directly up to the ECM to try that method.

I?ve had failed writes before to the moon and back on other platforms and have always been able to recover, for this to say it completed and validated them shit the bed killing it completely is infuriating.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-18-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    It?s a 2012. Nothing works to try to flash anything to it. I?ve had the dash say no bus at one point. HP Tuners says Init: Fail. MM3 won?t read make connection the ECM, EFI Live returns a $0549: Ignition is turned off error, even though the fob is in the run position.

Needless to say, I?m pretty pissed. I?ve tried every avenue I have available to try to get it to work on something for hours and have gotten nowhere and I don?t have my Cummins hardware with me to hook directly up to the ECM to try that method.

I?ve had failed writes before to the moon and back on other platforms and have always been able to recover, for this to say it completed and validated them shit the bed killing it completely is infuriating.
    Sorry to hear it, brother. I wish I had some advice to offer in a situation like this, but in most cases, I suspect most folks would be turning to you for advice.

Good luck with it, I hate hearing stories like this. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Tuner
    What are the odds that this would happen to two people. I have seen other posts where this happened on other vehicles. I wonder if it has something to do with the latest version of the Editor? I think I will try the beta tomorrow. I suppose it can't get any worse. If I end up having to get a new PCM, I am going to not have confidence that HP Tuners won't do this again. I just don't want to dump a bunch of money and time into a different platform. Maybe support will come back with something.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, what are the odds indeed??

I work in the IT realm, and the first question I had was, did HPt do a recent update? And did both users update their laptop computer/interface/etc ??

This could also be a windows issue. I?ve seen Microsoft screw up a LOT of programs with their OS As of recent, and I would NOT doubt if this could even be intentional...

Tinfoil hat aside, I?ve learned to keep my old junky Surface 2 and Lenovo laptop that I use for tuning/logging OFF of the interwebs unless something is not working with them. The control that ?they? have over your stuff is all encompassing, but it ends when the connection gets cut...

Banned
    HPT did do an update recently to beta, which I use and the interface module, I did one flash after that update, next one it killed my truck.

Tuner
    I am running version 4.8.7 and I thought the same thing about maybe a corrupt file. I downloaded the 4.8.7 package again and ran a repair on my install. I got the same error when trying to flash. I haven't tried the beta yet.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    Yea I?m having to order a new ecm.

Tuner
    I don't have an EFI Live, but I found this thread where they were able to flash with EFI Live and fix it. Might be worth a try if you have one.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ontroller+init

Banned
    My FlashScan won?t connect to the truck. Everything I have won?t connect to the truck. The ecm needs to be bench flashed most likely and I don?t have my Cummins hardware with me to plug in directly to the ecm.

Might want to check with "RoninDusette" here on this forum. He has equipment to repair ECM/PCM that have been bricked using Ktag. Don't know if he can fix yours specifically but it may be worth a shot. At a minimum if you do get another you would have this as a spare.

Tuner
    Support has gotten back to me and asked for my tune files (stock and current), debug.dat, and VCM Suite Info log. I sent the files over promptly and they asked if I had anything else connected to the OBD2. I did have a CTS3, but disconnected that yesterday after my first failure. I am connected directly to the OBD2 port. Waiting on their next response.

Banned
    Same boat here pretty much

Banned
    One thing I?ve noticed at times after a flash with hp tuners is the service 4 wheel drive will come up aim first start after flash and 4 wheel drive won?t work or it won?t come up but 4 wheel drive won?t work. Need to shutdown then restart the truck again and then 4wheel drive will work.

Tuner
    Mine has been pretty trouble free for the most part. I have flashed it about 20-30 times over the last 11 months making minor tune changes here and there. They way I am viewing this is HP Tuner support needs to figure this out. My truck was running fine until I tried to flash it with their software. I am not going to be satisfied with me having to start replacing parts. I just completed a 5 hour haul pulling 10000lbs. My rig was running fine. I just made a few minor pressure changes to help with mid RPM response. I have done everything in my power to check everything on my end to eliminate points of failure.

Banned
    This evening I?ll send files to support and see what they can do. I?ve ordered an ecm, if can?t get the one on the truck talking to write a file to I?ll have to swap out the ecm and when I can get my Cummins hardware I?ll try bench flashing to recover the original and keep as a backup in case this ever happens again. I?ve had plenty of failed writes on the mm3 due to battery voltage running to low but have always been able to recover it with the mm3 without a hitch.