Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricked ECM

Tuner
    I thought it might be my batteries too based what I have seen with previous posts about it. I put mine on a charger overnight before trying again (I have two new batteries on order due to arrive this week). Support just got back to me and said that I have to return to stock with my Edge CTS3 monitor if I flashed it with the Edge. I explained that the CTS3 is a monitor only and there is no other flash besides what I have done with HP Tuners.

I am theorizing here, but I asked support if the VCM Editor will write if it does not detect a tune on the PCM. The erase completed before the write failed. If that is the case, then it won't write my tune since it has been previously erased. They need to fix that if it is the case.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Just as a side note on programming I have done over the last 3 decades or so.
    1. Battery fully charged.
    2. Optima battery on HEAVY DUTY (I use welding cables) jumper cables.
    3. Turn off every service, email, any internet using app, or anything that may start during programming.
    4. Turn off screen saver and power saver on laptop.
    5. Have laptop hopefully plugged into a power source or at a minimum 50% battery.
    6. Turn on vehicles ignition and leave it on for a good 3 minutes. 5 to 10 is better. That lets all modules on com/CAN lines to "go to sleep". Make sure ALL accessories are off. Lights, radio, HVAC, seat heaters, interior lights etc.
    7. During programming I touch NOTHING on the computer. Not a key, not the mouse, nothing
    8. During programming keep doors shut or open with latch clicked and touch NOTHING inside. Not even a radio button.
    9. After ANY programming I power cycle the whole car. That means turn ignition off, Key out, open and shut the door. If it has a fob I take it far enough away to know that it is powering down. This should be a minimum of 30 seconds. The longer the better.
    10. Power KOEO for a solid 10 seconds and without input by any pedal or button of any kind start the vehicle.
    11. Go back and clear all codes. Not just PCM/ECM/TCM but all from every module.
    12. Collect the money $$$$$

Banned
    🤨 some of that makes no sense

Let me know what you think makes no sense and I will explain the reasoning and how it was discovered.

Tuner
    Support wanted me to try the Beta. When I connected to my truck it updated the firmware on the MVPI2. Same problem. It will start the tune process, it performs the erase, the after 1-3% of the write it fails. Truck is still a paper weight. I sent them back what happened. Waiting again on their response.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    Well you make it further than I do, mine won?t even start the write process, I get a no bus message on the truck and a initialize failed message on hp tuners when I try writing.

Tuner
    Where are you seeing the "no bus message"? Is that from the VCM Editor? I want to check mine later.
    write_attempt.jpg
    write_fail.jpg

Banned
    It shows right on my truck, in the EVIC. Only comes up after clicking the write button on the editor though

Banned
    All HP Tuners can see is the my write successfully completed and then the next try the truck was completely dead.

Tuner
    Mine seems to erase successfully, but won't write. I have two new batteries I am installing later. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I figured it was worth a try. I was running Optima red tops and I have seen recent posts and videos from people having problems with them. I had a charger on them before I tried to flash. Support wanted me to try to flash my stock tune from my initial read. That didn't work either and I sent them back the debug. When I run the VCM Suite Info it shows at the bottom "Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol". I am hoping support will have an answer.

Banned
    I?ll have a pre-programmed ecm by mid next week to put in my truck.

Tuner
    I am dreading having to do the same thing. I am holding out hopes that support will come up with something. You don't happen to sell pre-programmed ECMs do you?

Banned
    If I had my Cummins hardware I could maybe do recoveries.

Tuner
    I found a couple of places I can get a pre-programmed ECM from, but it would set me back around $1000. I am not very happy with HP Tuners right now. It would be good to know what caused this.

Banned
    The debug file from my laptop shows that the write to the ECM was successfully completed then nothing after that. The dash lights up like it does when writing a tune with the mm3 so I believe it?s stuck in boot mode for writing to. I?ll post up results of putting in another ECM once I get it.

Tuner
    I am shipping my ECM to support. They are going to try to bench flash it. The debug shows ECM active, so it doesn't appear to be toast. We'll see I guess. I am debating whether to.get a spare also. I told support we need a root cause so I can have confidence it won't happen again.

Tuner in Training
    Any update on this? I'm very curious to see if they know what the issue might be.

Banned
    Nothing on my end, fighting with the outfit I ordered an ecm from. Basically took my money, created a shipping label with UPS and have given me nothing but lies on where they are at with programming the ECM and getting it shipped. Gonna try to find a different outfit that will do a rapid turnaround on reprogramming the ECM that?s bricked on my truck.

Banned
    My ordered ECM is getting delivered today.

Tuner in Training
    Good to hear