Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricked ECM

Banned
    Got the ECM swapped out, reconnected the batteries, put the fob in the ignition and turned to the on position and the dash lights up like normal. Now to get the batteries charged up so I can apply a tune to handle the modifications done to the truck. Tune will NOT be applied with HP Tuners. Won?t be taking that chance again.

Tuner in Training
    What are you doing with the old ECM?

Banned
    Going to get it recovered and keep it as a spare.

Banned
    Pulled codes from all the modules and damn near every module had a lost communications with tipm and central gateway code set.

Banned
    Batteries are pretty cold, might be awhile before they are charged enough to do anything and can?t run the truck till a tune is applied.

Banned
    And it?s alive!!!

Tuner
    Well you are way ahead of me. HP Tuners has my PCM and says they could only get into the office today to look at it due to Covid. They told me they are unable to flash it or are unable to recover it. Where did you get your new PCM from? I don't want to order from the place you had trouble with.

I am having HP Tuners sent me back mine old one so I can get it repaired and also have a spare. I also asked HP Tuners for a root cause so I don't have this problem again. I will probably switch to EFI Live if I don't get a satisfactory answer.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    I used flagship1 for getting an ECM. Horrible communication from them and when you try asking them questions they just read off answers from a bullshit script.

I put EFILive on the ECM I got from them. Couldn?t use the MM3 as my vin license for that is locked to the old ECM.

Tuner
    They didn't flash the VIN to your new ECM? Have you tried using AlfaOBD to set the VIN. I believe that will do it.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    The new one has my vin on it. My vin license is attached to the old ecm though because it is also locked to the old ecms serial number.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    The new one has my vin on it. My vin license is attached to the old ecm though because it is also locked to the old ecms serial number.
    Ah, I am guessing mine will be that way also. I just ordered one from the same place. I will probably have to buy some credits to be able to flash it again. Will I be able to write my existing tune to the new PCM (with additional credits) or will I have to do a read on it first and then transfer all my old tuning parameters to a new tune before writing to it?

Banned
    No idea, I would talk with support on that one.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-29-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Banned
    Still got some gremlins in the truck from the fiasco that bricked my original ECM. Every once in awhile when I first turn the ignition to on the fog lights will flash, the dash illumination will flicker and I?ll very briefly get the lighting bolt indicator light.

Don?t know what HP Tuners had done that would cause bricking the ECM and whatever else it did but not too impressed.

Tuner in Training
    Almost sounds like TIPM symptoms.

Banned
    That?s my thoughts. Never happened before the original ecm got bricked. The only fault I get from the tipm is lost communication from the radio, probably from the aftermarket module to retain factory functions with aftermarket radio.

Tuner in Training
    On my 2002 1500 I had no issues with the TIPM until I put a new alternator on. All hell broke loose - no fuel pump and a lot of BCM related stuff - One headlight, one foglight, dash doing weird things. Pulled TIPM to inspect internally but found a lot of connectors to it had corrosion on a few pins. Put it all back together with dielectric on everything and all worked again.

Banned
    The 2002 1500 had a tipm? My old 2005 3500 Cummins didn?t have a tipm, didn?t come in till 2006, at least on the Cummins powered trucks.

I pulled the IOD fuse of the tipm in my 2012 for a while to try a force reset, didn?t help. Think I need real dealer level diagnostics to track down what?s going on with the headlights, fog lights and instrument cluster illumination lights flashing when I turn the ignition to the on position.

Tuner
    Your problems aren't inspiring any confidence for what I will be facing when I get my PCM back. I had checked the connectors on my TIPM a few months ago as a precautionary measure after reading issues other people were having. I also sprayed everything down with dielectric grease. Everything was running fine until I tried to flash my last update. I even pulled all the fuses for unnecessary systems and they all went off line, then came back when I replaced the fuses. I am wondering if there isn't something in the TIPM itself that fails. I know the older power centers had plug in relays that were serviceable (replaceable). Now all the relays are integrated in the TIPM. Maybe I should replace that too? My charging system is good. I get 14.5V while running and have brand new batteries. I don't have a grid heater, so no power drain there.

I haven't get any response from support as to a root cause. They are just shipping back my PCM. Do you know what app they use to read the debug.dat file?

Banned
    It?s their own in-house software to read the debug file.

Other than my exterior and dash illumination lights flashing a couple times at key on, or in the morning after startup with a cold engine, they will flash a couple times every 15 seconds or so for a couple minutes then goes normal, besides that, truck operates normally.

Banned
    Flashing with the MM3, I would have music blasting through the stereo, rolling windows up and down and whatever else and never had anything happen like what happened when the last attempted flash using HP Tuners killed the ECM, and I?m thinking also potentially caused some tipm issues creating the weird lighting gremlins.