Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bricked ECM

Tuner in Training
    Every time I flash my truck I got the radio going cleaning all my windows so I’m rolling the up down and unlocking the doors , never had any problems and I only got 1 battery. It’s crazy how finicky some of these trucks can be .

Tuner
    I don't have anything other than my HP Tuners software. I do have saved some older versions though. I may uninstall the current one and install the version from last summer. I know that version worked since I flashed multiple time with it. I was looking into EFI Live, but they are updating their hardware to Flashscan v3 and don't list any add-ons for my year of Cummins. Also, it is another platform I would need to spend more time I don't have learning.

I was getting the goofy lightning bolt on the dash now and then. Every thread about it says it is related to charging system and batteries. Well, the charging system works. I just replaced the batteries. Don't know if it is relevant or not. The only other thing I did was install a separate heavy duty relay and wiring for my BD lift pump and I am just using the factory wire to close the relay instead of running the pump. Pretty sure that isn't an issue either.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I was getting the goofy lightning bolt on the dash now and then. Every thread about it says it is related to charging system and batteries. Well, the charging system works. I just replaced the batteries. Don't know if it is relevant or not. The only other thing I did was install a separate heavy duty relay and wiring for my BD lift pump and I am just using the factory wire to close the relay instead of running the pump. Pretty sure that isn't an issue either.
    Not sure where you read that the lightning bolt is related to the charging system and batteries but there is all sorts of stuff that can cause that to come up, incorrect checksum, Electronic Throttle Control issues...

Tuner
    There are tons of posts about it for 3rd gens on Cumminsforum. Any time it would show up, I would run truck for a while or throw a charger on the batteries and it would go away. Sometime my truck sits for a week or two in between use. I did also find some moisture once in the old Throttle Valve connector that is no longer in use. I had it taped up in plastic, then cut the connector off and heat shrink sealed all the wires.
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Banned
    Interesting, even on a google search it brings up heavy throttle control articles and the name throttle control warning indicator and that?s mostly what I know it to be associated with. If someone programs a full delete but leaves the intake throttle plugged in it?ll trip that light along a message about the ETC on the EVIC. I?ve had it come up on my truck after MM3 writes if I?ve forgotten to block a code related to the checksum or something, can?t remember the specific code right now. For whatever reason with the MM3 the code needs to be blocked or it will appear and cause the truck to run like a dead dog if you try driving it.

Tuner
    Support got back to me and stated they don't know what the problem is with my PCM other than they can't communicate with it. I should have it back today and I am sending it out to a place that does repair to have them look it over. However, they don't flash anything, they just check out the hardware to make sure it works. Support also stated I could try to bench flash my new one if I suspected there was something wrong with doing it in vehicle. A bench flashing kit is like $500-$600. Is it worth it or am I being paranoid? Lastly, they also recommend doing a read on my replacement and modify the tune from there instead of trying to flash my existing tune.

Tuner
    Just an update for anyone following along. I am still waiting for my new PCM to show up. I got my old one back from HP Tuners. I am most likely going to ship it out to get it repaired/tested to ensure it does indeed still work from the hardware perspective. I will still need to find someone that can flash it once I confirm the hardware is still good. The dealer said they can't bench flash and of course require me to bring in truck (that doesn't run). I am not having it towed there.

Tuner
    Still waiting for PCM to show up. They shipped it via USPS (why anyone would ship anything worth more that $5 with USPS is beyond me). So far tracking shows it has been to almost all the major POs in my state so far. Maybe it will show up today.

Banned
    Mine was delivered UPS

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Mine was delivered UPS
    They must like you better. I wasn't given the option.

Banned
    Lol. I didn?t have the option of picking either. It came UPS, wrapped up in multiple boxes and wrappings from UPS, one of the package wraps was a USPS one, inside all the UPS ones.

Tuner
    I can't make this stuff up. It literally has gone around my state. Maybe next they can hit Council Bluffs or Sioux City.

Tracking History

February 10, 2021, 5:04 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on February 10, 2021 at 5:04 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

February 10, 2021, 12:00 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52404

February 9, 2021, 8:59 pm
    Arrived at USPS Destination Facility
    CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52404

February 9, 2021, 12:37 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    DUBUQUE, IA 52002

February 9, 2021, 4:02 am
    Arrived at Post Office
    DUBUQUE, IA 52002

February 8, 2021
    In Transit to Next Facility

February 7, 2021, 10:31 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 2, 2021, 1:42 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    LYNBROOK, NY 11563

Tuner
    So finally got my replacement PCM yesterday. I was able to connect to it and read the stock tuning from it. I created a template from my last tune to transfer over the parameters. That got me like 80% there. DTCs and User Defined Parameters do not transfer with the template (I am new to using templates). I will have to manually configure those settings. One thing I ran into though is not all of my user defined parameters are available. I they show up from the .xdf file, but some are greyed out and it won't let me edit them. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe I have to buy additional tuning credits since this is a difference PCM.

Banned
    HP Tuners made changes in user defined parameters access if you know have some parameters greeted out that you had access to before. Would have to talk to support to get them to fix that.

Tuner
    Thanks, I will open another ticket. I wonder if that is what bricked my last PCM? They don't show greyed out with my old tune. Just when I try to apply to the new one.

Banned
    Strange. Vin license has nothing to do with user defined parameters, FYI.

Tuner
    I was just theorizing on the license since it has a difference serial number and thought maybe they restrict parameters until you license it. I sent my stuff off to support. I will see what they come back with.

Banned
    The user defined parameters is where Warp Tuning and EFILive rule, no restrictions on user defined parameters and the ability to use custom bin files.

Tuner
    At this point I am open to using EFI Live. Tuning is not available yet with the FlashScan V3. According to their site, it was supposed to be available in a few weeks posted on Dec 10th. I suppose I could go the MM3 route and use Warp. How does Warp compare to HP Tuners or EFI Live?

Banned
    With Warp tuning:
    Since you need emissions off, a couple quick taps and done, no user defined parameters or anything. More crude data logger in lots of ways, tuning wise, comparable. Switchable tuning capable with ease. User defined parameters is tricky.

EFILive:
    Best for user defined parameters, your model year, easily turn off emissions without user defined parameters, switchable tuning capable at a deeper level than Warp. All other tuning, comparable minus the transmission for the 07.5-09 model years.