Thread: Crazy amounts of Knock retard on stock motor!

Potential Tuner

Crazy amounts of Knock retard on stock motor!

as the title says i have a completely stock motor in my 2003 buick century 3100 sfi ( lg8)
    The only upgrades done to this car are a cone filter and a 56mm TB swap
    i just bought hp tuners hoping to be able to tune it coming from the tunerstudio and hondata world
    the problem here is on a stock motor and stock tune ITS PULLING 12 DEGREES of timing out via knock retard unload
    i dont care about the 1 or 3 degrees pulled when around town or rolling to the throttle a little but this is any time im demanding power
    FIRST RUN was on 87 pump fuel and was pulling lots more timing everywhere and almost always 12 degrees under load
    SECOND RUN was with 92 pump fuel from 76 and was better all round and saw around 4 to 6 kr under light loads but under high load (WOT) getting on the freeway at 3500 rpm it was at 10 degrees kr and by 4000 rpm it was pulling 12.8 then it slowly tapered down to 11 until i let off
    i dont think this is false kr and have no idea what is causing this. is this more a tuning issue or a mechanical issue?
    motor seems to be in great shape is always taken care of with only 100k on it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've seen a few V6's with high amounts of knock like that. I'd make sure all the motor mounts are in good shape and aren't blown out.

Try making the commanded AFR richer sooner and have it enter PE sooner. Like 60-65% throttle and aim for 12.5 AFR as a target.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.