Thread: Forgot to return to stock on Smarty then wrote a tune with VCM Editor

Potential Tuner

Forgot to return to stock on Smarty then wrote a tune with VCM Editor

Early 2004 5.9CR. I guess I got too excited to write the new email tune I got using VCM editor and forgot to return the VCM to stock using my Smarty Jr. Before I go to far trying to get the Smarty unlocked from my VIN does anybody have any suggestions? I did return to stock and pulled the file to send out for tuning so I can write that file back to the VCM. I just wasn't stock and had a Smarty tune on the truck when I went to write the email tune. Just looking to make a couple bucks back by being able to sell the Smarty Jr.

Banned
    Plug your smarty back in and return to stock.

FYI HP Tuners does not actually read the tune flashed into your ECM, you could have left it still tunes to the smarty and do a read and get a stock tune file on HP Tuners.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-20-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Potential Tuner
    That seems like it worked. Smarty gave no errors and even though it was an email tune it indicated the last settings I programmed the truck with thru the Smarty. Only test will be to see if it works on another truck.

Banned
    As long as the smarty jr was never used for UDC tuning, it?s no longer locked to your vin once returned to stock.

Banned
    What smarty does to unlock people?s tuners is take a benched ecm and change its vin the customers vin, plug in the smarty and run it through the return to stock.

Potential Tuner
    Ahh, I was always under the impression that the Smarty needed to return the ECM to stock before any non-Smarty programming changes were made to the ECM otherwise it will basically brick the Smarty. Warnings like returning the truck to stock before bringing to the dealer in case the dealer were to flash the ECM... I would be curious to see the tables of a Smarty tuned truck vs stock vs a custom tune.

Banned
    The smarty handhelds get locked to your vin number when you apply a tune and it?s set in the smarty handheld that your vin has whatever you had chosen applied to the ecm, you can apply a tune with hp tuners or superchips or whatever without returning the ecm back to stock with the smarty. If you decide to sell your smarty handheld, to not be a dick, you should return back to stock with the smarty, which will un-marry it from your vin number, as long as it was never used for a UDC tune, and this can be done with another tune from another device flashed to the ecm. If you were to send it to smarty to get it unlocked, they literally just take an ecm, program your vin to it, plug in your smarty to that ecm and return it to stock.

Potential Tuner
    Nevermind - I stopped being lazy and searched.
    Last edited by dukelubas; 01-20-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    The smarty handhelds get locked to your vin number when you apply a tune and it?s set in the smarty handheld that your vin has whatever you had chosen applied to the ecm, you can apply a tune with hp tuners or superchips or whatever without returning the ecm back to stock with the smarty. If you decide to sell your smarty handheld, to not be a dick, you should return back to stock with the smarty, which will un-marry it from your vin number, as long as it was never used for a UDC tune, and this can be done with another tune from another device flashed to the ecm. If you were to send it to smarty to get it unlocked, they literally just take an ecm, program your vin to it, plug in your smarty to that ecm and return it to stock.
    Interesting, when I called Smarty to get mine unlocked, they just sent me a file to upload to my unit which unlocked it.

Banned
    Are you talking about the smarty touch and unlocking an additional vin license? Because if that?s the case then yes you are correct.