Thread: New to Diesel/HP tuners info needed

Potential Tuner

New to Diesel/HP tuners info needed

Hello all,

New to Hp tuners. I have an 05 3500 Auto. 5.9. Bought the truck with hard starts and excessive injector return. Installed new (remanufactured) from Injectors Direct. Instantly starts, idles and drives without hiccups. The only issue I have is black smoke on initial acceleration and a haze once it gets going. I've checked the filter and intercooler piping. The turbo is new with a 5' exhaust with muffler. I understand I should make small changes first and log. It looks like everything affects this (smoke). Is the estimated airflow the target airflow I want it to achieve by utilizing wastegate solenoid( based on turbo speed table)? Also, are the airflow and the diesel fueling tabs independent from each other in regards to tuning?. I just want to make sure, I figure if I scan and want more air in that area where I'm getting black smoke I would increase the estimated air flow to get more air without the computer commanding more fuel because I increased airflow. Or am I thinking of this backwards? 10 minute flash time is a long time so I want to be strategic when I make changes and not change more than I have to. Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Your estimated airflow tables is the desired airflow, controls the wastegate position. It is not based off of turbo speed, the axis units of those tables tell you it is based off of fuel quantity and engine rpm. Not sure what you mean by airflow tab and fueling tab being independent of each other. Reason for the smoke and haze could be any number of things. Stock tuning or modified? Mileage on engine and cylinder health? Rail pressure good and following commanded? I'd probably put money down on it being the reman injectors.

Potential Tuner
    Stock tune, motor was supposed to have 80k miles when it was put in. No blow by. I think its the injectors too. But is runs really good and doesn't smoke at all at idle. Even hard acceleration it will be black for a second then haze then slight smoke. When it is warmed up smoking at acceleration is less. I was going to cap one line at a time to check but if I can correct it with tuning I would. I will check rail pressure vs commanded. So a larger number in the airflow table would increase duty cycle on wastegate ( increase boost) to try to hit the desired air flow? and as far as being independent, I was asking if I entered a larger number in that estimated airflow field is there a fueling parameter that would automatically add fuel to compensate for the air increase or will it only increase fuel delivery if I make the change, whether it be fuel pressure, PW?

Banned
    Well if you allow more airflow at a spot you?ll have more boost at that boost and that increases engine load which in turn is more fuel.