Thread: 5.7 cam swap and ignition setup

5.7 cam swap and ignition setup

For the first setup after cam swap from 2013 5.7 vvt mds to 6.4 vvt non mds I wonder what MBT to use.

The two engines seems to be mechanicly identical .

The lift and the lsa are different ( 115 to 121 ), so I took the values from the 6.4 for the vvt.

Now the rpm range from the 6.4 ist bigger, so I use the row settings on the mbt table.

Would it makes more sense to copy the values over and not expand the table with own values - ?

???
    Ok, the engine get more VE, more lift .
    The compression must be higher....so the spark must be moderate? Isn't it?

In reality you need to tune the MBT table using a very high octane fuel on a dyno as it is supposed to be a best-case scenario for the timing. This way you can monitor power increases and when you stop realizing gains you know you have hit MBT for your combination. Without a dyno you are just guessing.

So it seems....I will log on the street and take care of the stock knock sensors....

Tuner in Training
    You ever take care of the knock sensors? I'm having knock after 2000rpm and random. My threshold has been increase by almost 2v. Tried 93 octane. Not really running lean. Tried retarding spark tables. My car has Cai, 6.4 cam, 6.4 springs, catless downpipes,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: hpl 1.hpl (3.39 MB, 7 views)

the springs are the same at 2013 .
    Ive got short term knock around 2? at some points and eliminate only long term knock.
    you can try to richen up the mixture or reduce wot spark.
    remember, the real cam timing is 10? different because the ecu uses other data than the 6.4

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinB View Post
    You ever take care of the knock sensors? I'm having knock after 2000rpm and random. My threshold has been increase by almost 2v. Tried 93 octane. Not really running lean. Tried retarding spark tables. My car has Cai, 6.4 cam, 6.4 springs, catless downpipes,
    you dont want to desensitize the knock sensors to much or you could hide a real problem. post your tune and a log, and ill look at it, you might be running to much spark. there are multiple tables that dictate your spark advance. these cars dont like alot of spark, and the hotter they get, the more unhappy they become.
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned

Tuner in Training
    So actually I tried running it with stock knock sensor settings and stock spark with 93 octane this time and didn't really get knock which is good. This is also stock 5.7 cam setting but I got a 392 cam. I still need to change that. I know about the 10degrees difference and all that with the 6.4 cam tune. I would really appreciate it if somebody simplified it for me to be able to comprehend what to do to my exhaust cam table and also any other things you see I should change in my tune. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wasnt very familiar with cams, so I spent hours and hours to understand more.
    I dont want high rpms like in my Mustang before, so I choose the 392 cam.
    The Software is easy but I made it more complicated then necessary and look at Lsa, Icl and all others.
    Use the 392 values from software and substract 10 deg. .
    Thats it.
    For spark I use a mix of both engines and eliminate Knock till i got max 2 deg short term knock on real road driving by hitting the pedal hard .
    I drive miles and miles to get best driveability on the street and use the lower gas quality, because Germany wants to save the world with our gas taxes.
    Btw, I use Lpg too with gas mix at Wot and it works fine with 4psi boost.