Thread: Tundra OS swap?

Potential Tuner

Tundra OS swap?

Has anyone tried overwriting the NA FFV operating system with a TRD SC operating system? I'm going to be installing a Whipple soon and would like the TRD OS since it has a few tables with more resolution. The first thing I noticed was the load axis on the spark tables and one of the tq tables has more range. And of course, you have no flex fuel in the TRD OS, which would be ideal. I haven't really dug into the OS differences other than that. I know I can scale the load axis to match with a few rows missing, but it would still be nice to have that extra bit. Not to mention background tables and checks that HP might not have defined yet.

I'm not new to tuning at all. Fords have no problem with OS changes as long as the PCM hardware is the same, but this will be my first Toyota platform and I don't want to end up bricking the PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kremp87 View Post
    Has anyone tried overwriting the NA FFV operating system with a TRD SC operating system? I'm going to be installing a Whipple soon and would like the TRD OS since it has a few tables with more resolution. The first thing I noticed was the load axis on the spark tables and one of the tq tables has more range. And of course, you have no flex fuel in the TRD OS, which would be ideal. I haven't really dug into the OS differences other than that. I know I can scale the load axis to match with a few rows missing, but it would still be nice to have that extra bit. Not to mention background tables and checks that HP might not have defined yet.

I'm not new to tuning at all. Fords have no problem with OS changes as long as the PCM hardware is the same, but this will be my first Toyota platform and I don't want to end up bricking the PCM.
    Yes possible..Unfortunately, not with HPT.. I tried it with success using BitBox software.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by talsayed View Post
    Yes possible..Unfortunately, not with HPT.. I tried it with success using BitBox software.
    That's a bummer! I spent a few hours today getting familiar with the truck on the dyno. Engine tuning seems like it'll be easy enough, but the trans side is lacking. I'm use to a lot more tables to adjust besides just shift pressure and shift speed. I'm hoping I don't end up with a sloppy transmission when I do get around to installing the supercharger.

Tuner in Training
    you could try bench writing using Toyota ECU flasher.

I once asked HPtuners, and they said it may work using MPVI2 but you risk bricking your ECU.

Speaking from experience, you don't really need the TRD base tune. you can always rescale axis in the OEM base tune.

Maybe @QTR FMS can elaborate more.

Did anything come of this. I have a NA FFV that I would like to remove the Flex Fuel OS from.