Thread: Hellcat Whipple limp

Hellcat Whipple limp

Hey all,

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat with a 4.5L Whipple. Still running stock TB at the moment as the twin 71 is backordered. I'm having an issue with it going into a limp. Pretty easy to reproduce the issue...just slowly increase revs and at 4000-ish, it will cut and limp. The throttle body lightning symbol comes on the dash and it's limited to 2000 RPM for a short period of time before it resets. No DTCs get set.

From what I can tell, the only thing that looks weird to me is that the "actual torque" exceeds the "driver demand torque" by 15-20% at this point. I'm assuming that it's cutting because it sees the engine making way more torque than expected...but that's a guess. I have no idea how to "tune" this however. if that's even my issue

What's been changed in the tune -
    * Changed the S/C bypass values - lowered them a bit based on some other posts I've seen
    * Adjusted the S/C airflow up a bit but that doesn't seem to help my cause any at this point
    * Otherwise fairly normal tune stuff done based on old stock blower and pulley setup

Can you guys help point me in a direction??

Tune and quick log attached:
    LIMP_6.hpl
    TUNE_0005.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlindgr View Post
    Hey all,

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat with a 4.5L Whipple. Still running stock TB at the moment as the twin 71 is backordered. I'm having an issue with it going into a limp. Pretty easy to reproduce the issue...just slowly increase revs and at 4000-ish, it will cut and limp. The throttle body lightning symbol comes on the dash and it's limited to 2000 RPM for a short period of time before it resets. No DTCs get set.

From what I can tell, the only thing that looks weird to me is that the "actual torque" exceeds the "driver demand torque" by 15-20% at this point. I'm assuming that it's cutting because it sees the engine making way more torque than expected...but that's a guess. I have no idea how to "tune" this however. if that's even my issue

What's been changed in the tune -
    * Changed the S/C bypass values - lowered them a bit based on some other posts I've seen
    * Adjusted the S/C airflow up a bit but that doesn't seem to help my cause any at this point
    * Otherwise fairly normal tune stuff done based on old stock blower and pulley setup

Can you guys help point me in a direction??

Tune and quick log attached:
    LIMP_6.hpl
    TUNE_0005.hpt
    Try adjusting your Torque correction in Engine Diagnostics I'm thinking you may have to much in airflow max rpm try there and also P2173 Add adapt max may be a little high hope that helps

Thank you for the assistance! I tweaked the numbers a bit based on a more OEM tune I had - targeting the areas you mentioned. Doesn't seem to have really fixed the issue. Still going into limp around 4500 RPM.

I should mention that this car was tuned by someone else at one time. Not sure what they changed.

LIMP_7.hpl
    TUNE_tq_0003.hpt

Tuner in Training
    You can try to change the Airflow > Electric throttle > Min value to .09 or .10 if you are having lighting bolt issue.. There are other way to get around that issue but min value is the easiest route for some guys

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the "min desired throttle" set to 0.10V now. Still doing the same thing where it sets an RPM limit at 4500 and then goes into limp.

LIMP_8.hpl
    TUNE_tq_0005.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlindgr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have the "min desired throttle" set to 0.10V now. Still doing the same thing where it sets an RPM limit at 4500 and then goes into limp.

LIMP_8.hpl
    TUNE_tq_0005.hpt
    Well when I compare your tune to the stock HC tune you have changes in the torque delta & torque delta fault and yours is much higher in that of the stock HC try to lower those number closer to stock and are your getting the P2173 code if so try raising Phi Adap Max to 1 and see if that helps