Thread: 5" intake maf scaling with 6l80e

Advanced Tuner

5" intake maf scaling with 6l80e

What route are you guys doing when scaling Maf with a vehicle that has a 5" intake, that is running auto trans? It seems when scaling Maf with the oversize intake, the maf transfer function is lower than stock. With auto trans, I have modified the Virtual Tq. tables and trans shift pressures to compensate for lower maf curve. I have heard of other people fibbing the stoich table so that we keep the transfer function higher than stock with a 5" intake. How are some of you guys doing the Maf with 5" intake and auto trans? Just seeing what others are doing.

If the fuel injectors are properly calibrated to what they actually are, and MAF is dialed in, engine tq should be close...

If you are at -50 tq or 100lbs of tq at idle, then it’s obviously wrong and needs corrected

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, the car has id1700's and I have them scaled in correctly. But I am finding I have to reduce Maf curve, which I am assuming would report lower tq and shift pressures. I will see what we are reporting for tq at idle. I used wideband on dyno when tuning Maf, and trimmed it out with the Stft's. Ben, so I shouldn't be concerned that the Maf curve is lower than stock to achieve proper fueling?

What do you mean by lower!? If HZ then that’s fine, if g/sec then we don’t want it too low

14 Gen 5 Viper

I pretty well delete the MAF on all the car's with 5" intake tubes... the MAF is way to noisy on something with a inlet that large especially if it is a card style MAF.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    James, So if doing a Sd conversion on these cars. Is everything in tact as far as calculated load and tq still for a6 trans shifting? Or do you go in and mod/calculate Virtual tq along with shift pressures?

VVE will do the calculation just like the MAF would.. so if accurate tq mode will reflect the same as MAF would..

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    Alright, thank you for the input. It is appreciated.

Yes what Ben Charles said. The SD model when calibrated properly should yield the exact same airflow as a calibrated MAF would. It's just an alternate method of measuring/calculating airflow. In the end the airflow is the main source used to calculate all the TQ models along with other variables.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400