Thread: 2008 e38 truck ecm to manual transmission

Tuner in Training

2008 e38 truck ecm to manual transmission

So heres what i have.

- 2008 escalade chassis with ecm, bcm ,column with key, instrument cluster, fuseboxs. swapped with an old car body

i've driven this car a few miles as it sits but nothing longer due to other factors with the body etc.
    i dont have to but eventually i'd like to swap it to a manual transmission if i could.
    i've read a few things about the vss 158 mph issue and tweaks there and jumping the tcm can wires if the 6l80 isnt there anymore.
    my question is what do i need to keep in order for the vehicle to start and read speedo signal and other than the vss 158 mph guidelines is there anything in the tune i would need to mess with so it would run ok?
    i've read people doing g8 manual swaps but those came factory manual in the us from other tunes. i know that 08 up silverado 3500s in mexico came factory with manual transmissions but i havent had much luck finding any tune info from them. if it didnt have bcm and factory cluster etc i could probably just stand alone everything but id like to keep all of those things so i have correct fuel level and alot of oem parts if i need to replace anything down the line. if you need any more information let me know.
    Thanks for your time

Tuner in Training
    still curious about this. been gathering parts for a manual swap. from what i understand my 4485 transfer case has a speed sensor, transmission i want to use does not it is a nv3500.
    my concerns are as follows again:
    read speed from the factory cluster (can)
    be able to start it
    be able to know its not in neutral for proper air/fuel table usage.

my thoughts are i might just unplug the 6l80e transmission while its in the car and see if i can get anywhere but i was hoping for some guidance on someone smarter than me on this which is probably most lol. Thanks

Only a manual trans ECM calibration is able to read a VSS directly, and the only data it will recognize as VSS has to be originated in a TCM. Some other module on the bus can't be disguised as a TCM or send data that should have originated in a different module. If the power company calls me and asks me a question about my car insurance, I'm hanging up because something ain't right.

Tuner in Training
    So what if I left the Tcm there to read the transfer case vss to translate to the pcm the speed which then goes to the cluster ?

Tuner in Training
    I have an e38 from a 2010 pickup I want to put in a circle track car with a Saginaw 3 speed. Can I use the automatic ECM and modify it to work or do I need to reprogram the ECM with a Corvette bin file?
    If that is the case, where do I find this been file? I have a VX nano and SPS I can flash the ECM if I need to. But I will need the VIN number from a Corvette in order to get that file correct?

Plenty of stock files you can harvest VINs from in the repository.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Plenty of stock files you can harvest VINs from in the repository.
    Thank you I guess that should have been obvious.
    Has anyone cloned a GMPP or an E-ROD for circle track?

How would you do that? Trying to use HP Tuners, you'd end up with only 6 of the 8 segments that live in the Gen4 ECM. HPT doesn't read or write the ETC segments. There are GMPP/CPP files in the repository already but you can't flash those files to anything because of the missing segments issue, all you can do is use them for a reference.

AFAIK there's no way to reflash the special no-VIN GMPP/CPP calibrations even with SPS. Maybe if you had a buddy inside GM who could give you a VCI number... yet another reason I'd never have anything to do with those weird quasi-unsupported systems.

Use this 1G1YY25W595113617
    with a 12625455 ECM

Tuner in Training
    THANK YOU so much. It will give me good place to start!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Use this 1G1YY25W595113617
    with a 12625455 ECM
    Uh... GM lookup for that VIN calls out a 12612384. 12612384 is '08-'09 (& 63lb IFR limit), 12625455 is '09-'10 (127lb IFR).

edit: MOAR CONFUSION: 1G1YY36W295100795 is from a repository file, 2009 Corvette LS3 manual trans, file absolutely has the 127lb limit... but GM says it also takes 12612384 which I always thought could not interchange with anything using a late-E38 127lb calibration. What's going on?
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 05-14-2023 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Uh... GM lookup for that VIN calls out a 12612384. 12612384 is '08-'09 (& 63lb IFR limit), 12625455 is '09-'10 (127lb IFR).

edit: MOAR CONFUSION: 1G1YY36W295100795 is from a repository file, 2009 Corvette LS3 manual trans, file absolutely has the 127lb limit... but GM says it also takes 12612384 which I always thought could not interchange with anything using a late-E38 127lb calibration. What's going on?
    I picked that one as I am doing a manual trans from a E1500 late model Gen 4 with a 6L90 and an E78 into a manual trans C10. Had to do a little research on it to find the right combo. That was a convertible non-ZO6 manual trans 2009. I am using that specific VIN also based on my favorite site Shows the 455 ECM.
    https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/acesCat.php?
    GREAT parts finder for GM.
    This was the thread that made the decision for me.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...onversion-help

Why/how does gmpartsdirect.com show 12612384 for 1G1YY36W295100795?

(man, that acdelco site, I dunno... since the 'back' button takes you ALL THE WAY back to the start page, and middle-click to open stuff in a new tab isn't allowed because somebody cranked the javascript knob up to 11, I'm afraid to click on anything lest I lose everything... yikes.)

While navigation is sucky I have found it to be the most accurate on the internet (that I currently know of). I have become so used to it I don't notice the issues.