Thread: 4l80e diagnostic help

Tuner in Training

4l80e diagnostic help

I got a running swap but could use some help as I am new to this generation of transmission. (i had a bunch of older shit)

which channels are best to watch a 4l80e in the scanner?
    does it really ever know what gear it is in without a pRNDL switch? I been watching at idle, registers park consistently but not much else, most times is in D2
    How closely does the ISS follow RPM? it seems to have a lag to it, my guess is torque converter slipping on decel (or pumping less), just wasnt sure the if the TC is connected to that shaft or if its after the pump.

I have never logged a good 4l80e in a working rig, i got a tranny from the yard, an engine from another guy, on and on,

with a 48degree temp in the fluid, how fast does transmission temp rise, just looking to check it, i ran it for a couple minutes but didnt see much of a change, no oil cooler (at the moment, not driving it this way, just checking things)

any insight would be great
    thanks in advance

U don?t even need A prnd switch it tells the body stuff not really the ecm
    the MPS in the pan tells the ecm what gear it?s in

Don?t have it hooked up in my swap and my brothers swap dosnt even have one bolted to trans

Just uses micro switch?s for reverse lights and my truck has neutral safety switch in Column so I?m covered