Thread: Did i just lose my credits?

Tuner in Training

Did i just lose my credits?

I am a Noob here and i think i made a mistake from ignorance..

Here is the story:

I just bought a MVPI3 with 2 credits for my Chevy SS Sedan and wanted to get the vehicle licensed as soon as possible, i thought i saw enough videos on how to do so.

I read my stock file calibration from my car and also downloaded the tune repository to compare on why my vehicle in the transmission tab only shows manual ad nothing else.

Anyway when i went to write and license my car i thought all was good with the calibration, turns out the calibration the VCM editor opened the one i downloaded from the repository which has a different vin number(i guess because it was the last one i opened). Now when I try to write my read calibration with vin its requiring more credits, did I do something wrong here? I thought the ECU gets licenses not the calibration file it self.... i added a few screen shots

This is what i see when i have the file i downloaded from the Repository from another SS with different VIN number
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 2.27.24 PM.png

This is what i see in the license information
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 2.07.56 PM.png

This i what i see on my read calibration from my car with my VIN number
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 2.07.38 PM.png
    Last edited by SupraTT10; 12-09-2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    sounds like you licensed the file from the repository which is a big no no. Please contact customer support for further assistance, unfortunately this is not something we can assist you with via the forum.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    sounds like you licensed the file from the repository which is a big no no. Please contact customer support for further assistance, unfortunately this is not something we can assist you with via the forum.
    I feared this much!! I actually sent a message the message but was not clear on if i lost my license or not. It reads:

"By default the VCM Editor will open the last file that was used. Note: HP Tuners is not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle by using any of the tunes found in the Tune Repository. HP Tuners does not validate nor approve any tunes that have been uploaded to this repository. Use at your own risk!
    I would recommend that you read the vehicle first and save that stock tune if you have to go back to it. Then write that stock file back with no changes and license the ECM in the vehicle. Then you can make updates to your stock file and save it as tune1 for example."

Senior Tuner
    You can unselect <open last file used> in the Tools>Options menu.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You can unselect <open last file used> in the Tools>Options menu.
    Thanks i just unselected that!!!

Tuner in Training
    I am having similar issue , I license my truck and it shows with a weird number at the end that is not my Vin , YR model etc is correct though . I only have files from my truck and a file from a previous year model. Yet somehow all my files show unlic.

Tuner in Training
    So based on the conversations i have had with HPtuners rep, the short answer is YES one loose their credits when doing something like i did!!!!!!

Thankfully with clear communication i was offered a one time credit and have a clear understanding. DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check the file you license has your cars vin and information!!!

ALSO turn off the "load last tune on startup" in options and settings tab, this way you have control of what you open haha.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraTT10 View Post
    So based on the conversations i have had with HPtuners rep, the short answer is YES one loose their credits when doing something like i did!!!!!!

Thankfully with clear communication i was offered a one time credit and have a clear understanding. DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check the file you license has your cars vin and information!!!

ALSO turn off the "load last tune on startup" in options and settings tab, this way you have control of what you open haha.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"