Thread: E38 Help Write calibration selected for e38 but operating Systems ID are different

Potential Tuner

Post E38 Help Write calibration selected for e38 but operating Systems ID are different

I am green when it comes to HP turners I am running version 4.8 I have a great tune that was put on by a turner locally and I built the exact motor for another build. I was able to go in save the tunewhen I write to the new E38 I get the message Write calibration selected for E38 but operating system IDs are different. Please help
    Last edited by Dino 1Gen; 01-29-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Senior Tuner
    not good to write a different file into another ecu, if u need to just read the new ecu and then compare files with the old tune and copy over what matches up then write to the new ecu, will more then likely still need work tho

Advanced Tuner
    To echo 07GTS, do not write a different file to a different ECM. You MUST use the same ECM OS, do not try to Write Entire a different OS than the ECM currently has, it will brick and you will need to use SPS/TDS to recover it.

If you have a file you'd like to use on a different ECM and ECM OS, read out the ECM then use the Compare function to copy over the differences from 1 tune file to another. Then you can license and write back to the ECM using the same OS ID.

The next question is this a swap or a factory vehicle?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    To echo 07GTS, do not write a different file to a different ECM. You MUST use the same ECM OS, do not try to Write Entire a different OS than the ECM currently has, it will brick and you will need to use SPS/TDS to recover it.

If you have a file you'd like to use on a different ECM and ECM OS, read out the ECM then use the Compare function to copy over the differences from 1 tune file to another. Then you can license and write back to the ECM using the same OS ID.

The next question is this a swap or a factory vehicle?
    This is a swap. So although I have to e38’s with the same service ID I have to use the same ECM OS to be able to write to the new EcM? The one ecm is out of a z06 corvette and the other is out of a Silverado
    Last edited by Dino 1Gen; 02-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino 1Gen View Post
    This is a swap. So although I have to e38’s with the same service ID I have to use the same ECM OS to be able to write to the new EcM? The one ecm is out of a z06 corvette and the other is out of a Silverado

You have two separate threads, devoted to the same topic - this causes confusion.

You have been given the correct answer to your question several times now, by several different people. Continuing to ask the same question, will not change the answer.

Once again, with Gen 4 ECMs (your E38 examples) you CANNOT use tuning software to fully program the ECM. All initial programming MUST be done with GM tools and software. Once the correct base program has been loaded into the ECM using GM tools, then you can use tuning software to read out the calibration, and then make subsequent changes as are required by the specific project vehicle.

You CANNOT using tuning software to program a Silverado E38 with a Corvette calibration, nor to program a Corvette E38 with a Silverado calibration. You must use a Tech 2 / MDI / Mongoose or equivalent tool, in conjunction with GM software, to initially program the ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok...thank you for the information. So despite the e38 ecu being the same the software is different and writing files to it will not have thw same data poclets to fit into.

So in that I dont have access to those GM tools..could I obtain an ecu from a car that is most like my build, Download the tune file thats currently on it and modify that file? Instead on simply copying a new file?