Thread: Upgrade older saved tune to new ECM OS version?

Potential Tuner

Upgrade older saved tune to new ECM OS version?

Hello,

I purchased a 2019 Duramax LP5 from an auction. It was already unlocked and tuned (both the ECM and TCM). I saved the entire ECM and TCM configurations with VCM.

Later, I purchased a switch on the fly tune (SOTF) from MotorOps, and wrote the new tunes to the ECM via VCM Editor.

I plan to take the truck to a dyno to see the different power levels / output of each of the newer SOTF tunes, but I also want the ability to go back to the origional tune the truck came with when I purchased it. The original tune was impressive.

I attempted to write the original file back to the ECM (both with Write Entire, and Write Calibration), but I am unable to get the initial tune to load properly.

If I "write entire" from the original tune, it appears to complete, however, the truck operates in a "limp mode" complaining about emissions. If I do a "Write Calibration Only" I get the following error
    "Write Calibration selected for [E41] but operating system ID's are different"

When I compare ECM OS ID's I can see they are on what looks to be significantly different versions of the OS (same physical ECM).

Original Tune File:
    Hardware: E41, GM 2017+ 6.6 L Duramax

MotorOps SOTF (new ) Tune
    Hardware: E41, GM 2017+ 6.6 L Duramax

I'm guessing the newer tune also updated the ECM OS, and the old tune isn't compatible with it (at least that is my theory of why I cant restore the original tune).
    Is there a way to upgrade my old tune file to be compatible with the newer ECM OS?

2022-12-19 16_10_31-VCM Editor - G__My Drive___Walker-Personal_Automobiles Cars Truck_2019 Chevy.png
    2022-12-19 15_55_46-VCM Editor - G__My Drive___Walker-Personal_Automobiles Cars Truck_2019 Chevy.png

Thanks in advance for the help!

Shane

How did you read the tune that was on it? I'm pretty sure these are virtual read only and when you read the tune, you were probably given a stock file to work with. I'm guessing that tune is gone.

Potential Tuner
    Ugg, I sure hope not, but I bet you might be onto something. The tune was read from the VCM Editor --> Read Vehicle --> Gather Info --> Read Entire. When I write that tune, it does appear to be a "stock tune."

Is there a way to determine what shop tuned the truck originally, with the VIN number for example? Since I bought the truck from an auction, so far I have not been able to find the previous owner to ask him.

Thanks!

Shane