Thread: Dead Truck. Write failed. Can't restore.

Tuner in Training Blockade Runner's Avatar

Dead Truck. Write failed. Can't restore.

After a full day (early Saturday) of problems, beginning with "Interface not recognized" then 6 hours later a "Write Failed" error, my truck won't start. 48 hours later no response from support ticket(s). All I did was change the Hardware "VSS P./Rev-Trans." value from 40 (NV3500) to 12 (Tremec Magnum). On the third try, it seemed to write after unchecking the "high speed write" box. Truck wouldn't even try to start. Did not get a 'write failed" message, but seem to still have the credits on my account. Late Monday morning still no word from support Decided to revert back to the saved/stock tune via Diablosport i3 handheld, and it tells me my vehicle isn't supported! Diablosport answered the phone and spent 20+ minutes with me restoring/updating/troubleshooting, and they have no answers. Just trying to get my speedo to work after a tranny swap, nothing more. Can somebody please tell me WTH happened to my truck? Thank you, BR<><

Did your truck have an aftermarket chime adapter/radio installed?

Seen those kill read/writes before and hurt computers.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It does!
    Still waiting to hear from support. Attachment 107083
    No idea what to do next.

It's possible it bricked the computer if the write failed. If nothing communicates with it, then it's probably dead. I've heard of some people getting the computer to come back but you'd have to send them the computer.

You may be at the point of getting a junkyard computer. And next time you need to unhook the radio and chime adapter when reading/writing.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Man I just need somebody to point me in a direction. I have worked so hard and long on this truck, and it is so close. Only reason I bought HPtuner suite is to fix the speedometer. Now a completely restored truck is dead. I appreciate your advice friend. I thought advice would be plentiful on these forums, but I could not have been more wrong. Whatever I need to do, I am ready. I at least would hope support would look at the files and tell me something. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Can you still connect to the truck with HP Tuners??

Like anything, be in the scanner or the editor?

If you can, then you should try to write the file again with the radio and chime adapter removed.

Yes I can. I'm just scared to do anything at this point. Looks like I'm pretty much on my own with nothing to lose at this point. I'll take the radio out before dawn, and bring the PC to the cold garage. I appreciate it brother. Oh sorry, I just notice you are in Minnesota, and I called my garage cold! I'm in SC, and 35 is cold to me. Thanks again 5F for the assistance. I'll post results right here.

Come this way next week, the low is -19 on Sunday as of right now.

While you're in the tune you could also delete the VATS system if you think that could cause it to not start. Sometimes the anti theft system will not let it run.

I just can't wrap my brain around that kind of cold. Hurts thinking about it.
    The VATS control reads "none".
    4.8L has small cam and long headers, and was tuned by handheld for 91 octane. Ran great before Saturday.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ead-this-first

The support guys work normal business hours, they don't have a 24-hour call center in Bangladesh or wherever. Flashing anything is inherently risky even when you are aware of what not to do and do everything right.

I remember 7 or 8 years ago I had issues programming with SPS (GM's factory programming software/hardware/MDI module). Turned out an aftermarket radio on the com serial data line was screwing me up. Aaargh did I have a time with that. Since then I do this on ANYTHING that has any aftermarket parts that attaches in any way to a communication line.
    I will pull fuses for
    1. Radio
    2. Radio Amp
    3. Info
    4. SEO B1
    5 SEO Ign
    and anything that would attach to a com line

TM can I just pull those fuses instead of disassembling the dash? That would save lots of weeping and gnashing if so.

Yes. The individual module needs to have no power. If there was a bad module it can take down a com line and stop a programming event. But you would likely have no communication in the first place not just a failed write. When I would program Corvettes at the dealer SI said to switch power on and wait approx 5 minutes for all modules to "go to sleep" or to go into a lower power mode. I also have a device that goes into the splice connector that allows communication and programming of individual modules. You can do the same thing by finding the star connector, removing its bar and then connecting the wire that goes to the DLC directly to the individual module. It is VERY similar to off board programming. Not >2006 CAN.

Write attempt Wednesday morning failed. "Controller Unlocker Timed Out".
    Pulled all fuses you specified. Have laptop power plugged into isolated transformer "variac".
    What is 'Controller Unlocker", and how jacked is my ECU??

Senior Tuner
    Pulling radio and radio amp fuses will work most of the time that the chime adapter is the issue. Every now and then you have to actually unplug the adapter from the dash harness. You can have the radio out in 5 minutes on those trucks. Another thing to check for that will prevent reading and flashing is aftermarket remote starts or alarms that tap into the purple data wire on the ALDL plug. That wire will have to be disconnected. Do you have either of those?

2X I have no alarms or remotes at all. I do have the aftermarket chime, but have removed fuses recommended by TM. I am procuring a bench harness, and educating myself on Gen 3 PCM's (finally figured out what to call them). I may purchase another PCM as well. I did not come this far just to come this far. I thank you for your response here. I need you and the other experienced tuners here on this thread more than you all know. Wisdom is expensive. I am in the middle of "purchasing" that wisdom!

Tuner in Training
    are you using the hp tuners cable??? if so scrap it and get a good quality belden.
    i ran into same problem on my p59 2004 computer.. all sorts of wrtie erros and brickign shit..
    then my genious it tech kid looked at calbe sid its shit handed me a new one.... no more problems

and never use high speed write..