Thread: 6l80 08 to a 13 swap question and AWD to 4WD

Potential Tuner

6l80 08 to a 13 swap question and AWD to 4WD

Got kind of a transmission question. I have an 08 escalade with AWD 6l80 and somewhat built motor. Lost the pressure solenoid in 5he trans and fried the clutches, found a very low mileage replacement 6l80 from a 13 Silverado that came with selectable transfer case as well as the front diff. I asked around about if the trans was a drop in replacement and was told I needed to swap valve bodies/ tehcm between the 2 because they were different. So my questions are as follows. I have already ordered a sonax zip kit, and pressure switch rebuild as well as sent my converter to circle d to be refreshed.

1) do I actually have to change valve bodies or is it just a programming issue to where I could just do a write to the tehcm in the 13 trans from the 08 file?

2) is there anything else in the programming I would need to change in order to swap to the selectable 4wd trans case and ditch the AWD?

3) is there any reason that would prevent me from making this work?

There's a breakpoint at mid-2009, they use different operating systems and different service numbers - early file can't be written to the late hardware and vice versa.

You will need:
    TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module)
    4WD Switch
    Harness to the TC
    Harness under dash (switch and TCCM added)

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, so do.you know if can I put the 08 tehcm on the 13 valve body or should I use the entire 08 valve body? The reason I ask is the 13 VB only has 60k miles on it, the 08 has 160k and a new rebuilt unit is another $400. I'm going to vacuum test every thing anyway to be sure.

I need this trans to last about 6months while I build my stock trans.

I cannot remember off the top of my head. There were some questions about it a few years ago on here. I looked into it back then. It seems to me that there was a difference in the upper valve body or the lower. I can poke around to see what I see.

There are real differences in the valve body between 09 and 10 in the upper, lower, and spacer plates, so not sure if your 08 VB can go on the 13 Trans. I'm curious if the 13 VB needs to stay with the 13 trans, maybe you can put your 08 TCM on the 13 VB. I have not seen this clearly stated yet. Somebody on here knows.

Potential Tuner
    Just an update for anyone who may want to know, I ended up swapping my 08 tehcm onto the 13 trans and valvebody...works great.

Good info. Thanks for letting us know.