Thread: 2015+ Dodge Big Cam Tuning

Tuner in Training

2015+ Dodge Big Cam Tuning

Vehicle:
    2019 Dodge Charger Scatpack 8 speed auto

MODS:
    87mm TB
    K&N CAI
    MMX Max Effort CAM (intake 222 / exhaust 232 112)
    ID1050s

Tune Details:
    GPEC2A, ECM, 2018+ Dodge
    ZF8HP, TCM, Dodge
    ANN disabled (would not work with this cam)

The car will stall/die when putting the brakes on hard. Like exiting a freeway or something like that.
    Sometimes when you need to slow down a little bit aggressive it will buck and surge until you slide it into neutral then it will almost immediately correct itself.
    Stopping normal it acts completely stock.
    Any other time the car drives perfect.

Log attached of it driving around then toward the end of the log it dies.
    sudden stops dies.hpl
    2020-01-23 Modified (Cam & Injectors).hpt

Tuner in Training
    Bump could really use help!

Tuner in Training
    There are alot of changes in the tune based off what we change for that same cam. Were the IDs needed for future mods? Is the phaser limited or locked? Limited is how we do them. Contact Jeremy Satera, This should be a quickish fix. IMO the VE tables are a little high for this cam.
    '07 MSRT8 426- 4.2 KB- Paramount Super Pro-1000HP club-

Tuner in Training
    The ID1050 are for future supercharge MOD

I am still fine tuning the VE. It is down much less now.

CAM has a 7deg comp limiters.

What do you mean contact Jeremy Satera?

Tuner in Training
    I had a similar problem try this.

Friction Loss.png

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    post a stock file
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    I got it solve by just going back and fine tuning my VE table and increasing the torque ramp out ([ECM] 44266). I think this biggest thing was the VE table. This thing is a pain in the butt on VE!

Anyone got these big cams to tune out on the ANN? When I start it with ANN enabled the RPM fluctuates like crazy and I have to pedal it to get it to smooth out around 1800 then as soon as you let off it goes back to fluctuating all over and then dies. Also on ANN if you put it in gear it dies.

I see an ANN trainer in the editor but there is nothing available to use. Anyone play with weight and bias or anything and got it working?

Original is stock file
    drive with hard stop (truncated).hpl
    2020-02-04 Modified (Cam & Injectors).hpt
    2020-10-18 Original w Trans.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by xxblamedxx View Post
    I got it solve by just going back and fine tuning my VE table and increasing the torque ramp out ([ECM] 44266). I think this biggest thing was the VE table. This thing is a pain in the butt on VE!

Anyone got these big cams to tune out on the ANN? When I start it with ANN enabled the RPM fluctuates like crazy and I have to pedal it to get it to smooth out around 1800 then as soon as you let off it goes back to fluctuating all over and then dies. Also on ANN if you put it in gear it dies.

I see an ANN trainer in the editor but there is nothing available to use. Anyone play with weight and bias or anything and got it working?

Original is stock file
    I was hoping to get some input on this as well.

Tuner in Training
    As I understand it, and I understand very little about ANN, the main difference from normal VE tuning is ANN has different VE tables for different cam positions. If that is the case, the less your cam can phase, the less benefit there is to using ANN. If you have a locked cam phaser, I don't think there is any benefit. I try to keep my cam position constant relative to the RPM's regardless of aircharge or P ratio. I may lose some mpg from it, but the VE is MUCH easier to tune that way.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you - I guess i should try Ve tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xxblamedxx View Post

Original is stock file

Most of the cams I tune, I turn ANN off

I'm running a Comp 268THR13 214/233 113lsa with a phase limiter in my 5.7 and had no luck with ANN on. Truned off ANN, Dialed VE, idle rpm, increased base running airflow (feedforward control), I run the cam at full advance pulling a few degrees in the upper rpms. Matched wot and lockpin timming tables, I also raised stopped vss to 20mph to let idle take over sooner when coming to a stop. Not sure if this the right way but is working for me.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    Most of the cams I tune, I turn ANN off
    Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    I'm running a Comp 268THR13 214/233 113lsa with a phase limiter in my 5.7 and had no luck with ANN on. Truned off ANN, Dialed VE, idle rpm, increased base running airflow (feedforward control), I run the cam at full advance pulling a few degrees in the upper rpms. Matched wot and lockpin timming tables, I also raised stopped vss to 20mph to let idle take over sooner when coming to a stop. Not sure if this the right way but is working for me.
    Awesome - I will give that a try!

It's not a very big cam, my favorite cam is a 230 / 246 i use it a lot and have no issue dialing it in on the VE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    It's not a very big cam, my favorite cam is a 230 / 246 i use it a lot and have no issue dialing it in on the VE

Thank you everyone for you help. I have been able to finally get this running in P/N and driving comfortably around. I still have some work to do a WOT but that will come when I get my new wastegate springs. Thanks again everyone.