Thread: E67 ECM controlling a Ford engine

Tuner in Training

E67 ECM controlling a Ford engine

Random wild idea. Thinking of building a turbo 2.3 Ford in a Fox body Mustang. Would like to take advantage of the "newer" tech afforded by the switch to the twin plug head, and distributor-less ignition. The EEC-IV setup is outdated, have no desire to play with the vane air meter from the Turbo Coupe engines, and really not sold on Megasquirt. Wondering if I could get an E67 from say, a Cobalt or HHR, mount a 60-2 trigger wheel, adapt an electronic throttle body and control the engine with that. I am assuming I can drive LS coils with an E67? The only question I have (an answer I may not get here, might have to scour the Ford forums) is what signal the Ford Mustang/Ranger cam synchronizer puts out, and will that be acceptable for an E67. Thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    That's an intriguing and ambitious project. Are you talking about building a NEW generation 2.3L, or the kind that came equipped with the Fox body cars? If you're talking about an 80s era 2.3, it might be doable.

You would need to get the crankshaft signal signature and synchronization correct. The E67 calibrations in the applications you're referring to have variable cam phasing on both intake and exhaust cam, so you'd have to disable all of that. The E67 is also used in the LS2 in the CTS-V, so it can drive LS coils, but you may need to borrow parameters from the LS2 calibration. You'll also need a functioning ECT sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor. I don't believe cam reference is crucial for operation.

As you say, you would need to adapt drive-by-wire throttle and accelerator pedal assembly.

P11 might be the simplest from a cavalier, speed density no vvt to bother with. But they used the coil assy for cam signature in lieu of cam sensor. Or a early non vvt ecotec pcm with coil on plug but they used an odd reluctor for cam timing

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    That's an intriguing and ambitious project. Are you talking about building a NEW generation 2.3L, or the kind that came equipped with the Fox body cars? If you're talking about an 80s era 2.3, it might be doable.
    Yes, 80's era 2.3. Would be built like a Turbo Coupe/SVO engine, but with a newer turbo and front mounted intercooler. From the research I have done, best practice would be to put the MAF between the BOV and the throttle body....so I'm guessing one of the GM cartridge style MAF's should work, and the E67 *should* support it? Wondering how you handle an air charge temp reading on a turbo engine.....before it or after it? MAP sensor would be a standard GM 3 bar. Further reading since my original post confirmed what you said......cam reference is not crucial, might get a long crank now and then without it. Old distributor would stay in place for oil pump drive only.
    Last edited by cobra30689; 02-08-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
    P11 might be the simplest from a cavalier, speed density no vvt to bother with. But they used the coil assy for cam signature in lieu of cam sensor. Or a early non vvt ecotec pcm with coil on plug but they used an odd reluctor for cam timing
    Was just looking at the diagrams from one. How well does the P11 work in a boosted application though?

Advanced Tuner
    Not well lol. I've tuned some of those with SC swaps from the Cobalt SS, they are very finicky.