Thread: Sooo... LSA swapped my 2011 Caprice and need a bit of advice on where to start

Sooo... LSA swapped my 2011 Caprice and need a bit of advice on where to start

Hello! So, here is a little backstory to let you know where I'm at. I only really ever tune my own junk so I'm not a pro. I have tuned a couple N/A E38's that I've owned, but only MAF tunes as they seemed to work just fine (and were easy). Now, I have speed density tuned a few gen III computers for boost with success, but have never tuned a gen IV for boost.

So my questions are:
    1.Is it possible/acceptable to MAF tune in boost for an E38?
    2.If the above is so, I have no need to run the 2-bar OS, right?
    3. If the above is not possible or not recommended, where do I start on tuning an E38 for boost in speed density with all of the coinciding tables that are required?

Thank you for any and all advice guys!

Senior Tuner
    For a LSA especially modded I'd go SD all the way. Don't need a custom OS. A 2 bar OS may or may not be available to your OS anyway. Stock OS will work with VVE
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    If you have a MAF already incorporated into your build, why not use it? You still should tune the VVE, but you could put it in full MAF and tune both at the same time (see a recent post about this). Plus you are already familiar with MAF tuning. The blower kits that are supplied with a tune are often MAF only tunes with the VVE untouched, not that it is right.

Be sure to adjust your MAP zone boundaries for better resolution now that you will see boost, unless you are already starting out with an LSA cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    For a LSA especially modded I'd go SD all the way. Don't need a custom OS. A 2 bar OS may or may not be available to your OS anyway. Stock OS will work with VVE
    Will tune my SD tables then. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary or not. Now I gotta figure out how lol. SD on the old computers was so easy, the gen 4 computers seem much harder. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    If you have a MAF already incorporated into your build, why not use it? You still should tune the VVE, but you could put it in full MAF and tune both at the same time (see a recent post about this). Plus you are already familiar with MAF tuning. The blower kits that are supplied with a tune are often MAF only tunes with the VVE untouched, not that it is right.

Be sure to adjust your MAP zone boundaries for better resolution now that you will see boost, unless you are already starting out with an LSA cal?
    Yes sir, I will still use the MAF, just wasn't sure if it was really necessary to also fully tune my SD tables. And oh, I didn't know blower kits only came with a MAF tune! Will still do VVE when I figure out how to but it's nice to know I can run MAF only for a little bit to get the car on the road for now.

And no it's not the LSA cal, but I do have the option for a 2 bar SD with this computer luckily.

Thanks for your input!

If you do the 2 Bar upgrade it will give you a standard VE table to work with, if that's what you are used to.

You should really try both ways and see what works best. Or all 3 ways - MAF only, blended, straight SD. Because on my truck it makes more power and even picks up fuel mileage by doing nothing more than failing the stupid MAF. Yes, even after both MAF and VE are properly tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by 383_Stroker View Post
    If you do the 2 Bar upgrade it will give you a standard VE table to work with, if that's what you are used to.
    Oh I didn't know that, that's awesome! Thank you. Will just do that then!

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You should really try both ways and see what works best. Or all 3 ways - MAF only, blended, straight SD. Because on my truck it makes more power and even picks up fuel mileage by doing nothing more than failing the stupid MAF. Yes, even after both MAF and VE are properly tuned.
    So you have better results all around on SD with a gen IV computer? That is really interesting! Thank you for the input, will have to experiment with that

Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post

Man, I checked out that recent post about tuning MAF and VVE at the same time, but it is just a bit over my head. I don't even know what GMVE is lol